Kicker motor Yamaha T8 for 228G

garyd

Reaction score
Does anyone have a Yamaha T8 or 9 mounted on the bracket made by Central Valley Marine? What connector did you use for steering? Do you need to disconnect the connector when either motor is raised? How do you like this setup?

pilotart

Reaction score
I just have a GW Spirit 175 with a Yamaha 90 and a Honda BF100 8hp kicker.

I bolted a 2 foot 'teak' 2x10 to the transom and even with the 'short leg' Honda it is fine.

For steering, the Y90 (in neutral for free-wheeling prop) acts as a rudder and steers fine in all but the most extreme maneuver.

They do make a 'rod' to tie your kicker to front or rear of main engine for ultimate steering control.

Fuel lines can be left connected as long as you prevent backflow.

The 'check-valves' in the primer bulbs don't always do it,
so I added "anti-syphon" fittings at the fuel filter to prevent the running engine from draining line from not-running engine.

I now have only one 'Primer' bulb, between the tank and filter, lot easier to 'push' than pull fuel and it pressurizes filter and lines to engines for best 'leak-check'.

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
I have a T8 on that bracket on my 208 Adventure and use the EZ-Steer connector rod for steering. The connector works fine for me but I do like to remove it when I raise either motor. That bracket from CVM is awfully expensive but I feel a lot safer going down the road with it than I ever did with my old Garelick bracket.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Yes - I did. I sold my 228G (in favor for my 265 Express) but when I had the 228, I had the CVM kicker bracket installed by them (Starboard side which countered, balanced, the prop rotation nicely) with a long shaft power tilt T8. Worked great. IMHO, the long shaft T8 is definitely the right kicker for the 228 especially if you have the elect. start + tilt. And CVM's mount is the best in the world. I connected the T8 to my F225 with the EZ Steer bracket thing. And yes, you can keep it connected but unless I was salmon trolling (like who remembers that!) I left it disconnected as it sort of stresses the bracket at times (each motor up/down, left/right). I found it not all that hard to connect the thing while at sea so leaving it off was sweet.