Lessons learned while boating official thread

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It seems like there are always lessons to be learned in life, but especially when boating. When launching my boat on Thursday, I learned to never take the boat off the trailer without starting it up first. I’d had this rule before but assumed, and did so incorrectly, that the boat would start with having two brand new batteries installed last fall. Well… took her off the trailer at the launch, turned the key and “click”… nothing. Busy launch, a few waves and some good current pushing the dock and boat around a bit. Had some family helping me out, they ran back to the cabin to get the jump pack, came back and still nothing. Finally got the boat back on the trailer and out of the water, manually raised up the motor because it wouldn’t go up under power. Got the boat back to the cabin, checked the terminals and connections, everything looked fine. Put a wrench on the terminal nuts, they were all tight, except one I reefed on and went maybe another 1/16” tighter. Tried starting her up after that and started up just fine without having any issues since then. I think some of the wire connectors going to the battery terminals might be slightly too large and maybe weren’t making a good enough contact. Anyway, just figured I’d pass my story on to others out there to save anyone the headache of repeating what I did. No issues or damage or anything else other than just feeling like a fool for holding onto the boat at the dock for over an hour total. Doh.

Reactions: Legend

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A few years ago I had a similar issue when putting the boat in the water for the first time after winter storage. Went to the lake put the boat in the water, tied to the dock, parked the truck, jumped in the boat and all I got was a clicking sound. Tried for a bit, pulled the boat out back on the trailer, checked all the battery connections, put it back in the water but this time left it on the trailer as the ramp was slow, same thing. Drove it the 15 minutes home, grabbed my shop flashlight, noticed the main black ground wire was off I missed it when making the connections after charging the batteries. Total rookie mistake, now I double check everything. I would like to put a couple busses near the main house battery so that only the main positive and ground wire connects to the battery making it much easier and cleaner to connect.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had a similar issue a few years back and started giving the terminal connections a good cleaning and tightening each year before launch.

JLR

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Here is a general lesson I have learned while boating for more than 50 years. Never go boating for enjoyment if the weather is worsening. Since boating is supposed to be fun, why worry about racing bad weather.

Reactions: Peter A

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Always check you work before you launch. Installed new water pump. Had the marina launch my. Started her up put in gear and nothing. LOL missed the hole for the shift rod.

Always check the weather before you go. Got caught 2 weeks ago in the nasty weather I have been out in. Damn lucky to make it back.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've seen a lot.... Some I may have done witnessed others.

Put the dock lines out before docking... Fenders in and out when not needed and needed... Newbies starting before the engine is in the water... Not turning off battery switches on the hook... Proactive battery changes leading to no-starts... Leaving safety chain on windlass... Improper tying of the boat to a dock... Leaving windows open... People not going to the bathroom prior to getting onboard and expecting to smash the head...

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
In the grand scheme of things... I'm very much grateful that there wasn't any harm done other than some pride and a bit of exhaustion after working a 24 hour shift, not having a nap afterwards and then tending to a boat for over an hour at a busy/somewhat rough boat launch. All in all, the situation was a bit frustrating but it could've been worse in so many ways like taking the safety chain off prematurely and the boat ending up on the ramp, or having the truck roll backwards into the water, not putting the drain plug in, having a leak, etc. At the end of the day, the issue was resolved, the boat still floated, nothing got damaged, sunk or anything else.... which as stated above I'm very much grateful for. Hopefully someone reads this and thinks "I remember seeing someone doing .... and it backfired on them, maybe I should check this first before launching my boat..." type of thing. Either way, definitely a beneficial conversation for all boaters to have. Stay safe out there and keep those comments coming.

Reactions: apostleislandsphoto

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Take the transom hold downs off before you back the trailer in the water.
Never unhook the boat from the trailer until it is in the water.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Told her when we first started boating, "on land she may be the Boss, but on my boat I am the Captain!"
She never comes out on the boat anymore. :)

• Haha