manual to electric

Cadeco

Reaction score
Model
Islander
My Islander (1998) has a head w/ Jabsco pump (it's in bad shape), so, instead of buying a kit to fix it I'm In doubt of getting a new pump (Seaflow or Jabsco)or installing an electric pump. I have seen some 12- and 24-volt pumps for a not too bad price, My question is: Have any of you done that? and if so what would you recommend?
Thanks very much.

The boat already have a switch above the head for discharge if I'm more than 2 1/2 miles offshore , as the law requires.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
It is highly unlikely you have a Jabsco pump. Probably a Groco in-tank. Investigate what you really have, put some photos up and members will guide you. There are numerous post on GG on this subject. Search "Groco".

And by the way it's 3 miles not 2 1/2.

Last edited:

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I might be wrong, but I think you have some confusion with the components of your flush and waste system.
Looks like you have a manual Jabsco head pump. This isn't used to pump waste overboard, but rather to the holding tank. The holding tank has a separate macerator that pumps waste overboard with the switch you mentioned in the head. This is the Groco Hookup is referring to. They are as reliable as a broken swiss watch and are priced similarly to a new one.
I replaced my electric Jabsco flush system with another, but only because the price was right. Otherwise, the manual pump gets the job done just fine IMO for less than a ¼ of the price.
If you want to discharge waste water off shore, you will need reference the threads Hookup mentioned.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
My Islander is a 1997. Toilet has a manual Jabsco hand-pump to evacuate the bowl. Electric pump may have been an option or it was installed later. This pump only empties the bowl into the on-board holding tank (in compartment behind the bowl).

There should be a Groco in-tank macerator pump that is for overboard discharge when the seacock is open (under bottom cabin step). Electrical control is on the wall above the toilet.

The Groco pump works quite well for a long time. But after sitting in an unfriendly environment all those years it eventually will start to act up. Flat spots on motor but no way to turn shaft. If you take it apart and move the motor it will work a few times. But eventually the motor will stop on that flat spot and stick again. I did try to repair the motor. Bought some parts to rebuild it. In the end it wasn't worth the time or trouble. You either have to buy a new Groco macerator or redesign the pumpout system (documented here on GG).

Macerator 1.jpg