Moving Batteries

BUZZCUDA

Reaction score
Ok guys, this is my first post, but I have been lurking for a while gaining good ideas and information from everyone.

I have a 1986 overnighter and I have re powered with a suzuki df 150. Last summer was the first time using it due a soft transom and replacement. I opted to make the repair at the first sign of the problem during the re power rather than later. Some of my concern of course was weight , as I am a big guy. As expected with a full load of fuel and two or three people aboard a bit of water does enter the rear cockpit area. Not enough for concern but it does anoy. At rest at the marina the scuppers sit above the water line with full tank of fuel. Only goes below when you add more weight. I have also added a second battery. I am interested in moving both batteries to the front stowage compartment under the cabin.
Any input would be appreciated. I would like to know if the wire size has to change for the length of run. I also considered putting one in the port and starboard stowage spaces. If anyone has done this or has other ideas I would love to here it. :D

catch22

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to move anything. If your scuppers are above the water-line, you should be fine. Have you inspected the flapper? Maybe they need to be replaced. I've had Grady's where the scuppers were about halfway under water, at rest and never had water comming in. They shouldn't allow water to back-up onto the deck.
Now, if your refering to the drains, around the outboard area, (notch), they should be well above the water-line. But, if need be, I think you can also add scuppers to those.

BUZZCUDA

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Catch. :) Both scuppers were replaced when the transom was re done. It seems when at rest while fishing those flappers dont seal 100%. Or inadvertant debris gets caught in there causing the water to seep in. I also clean them regularly and make sure I rinse them out after each wash down. I will do a better check of those scuppers to make sure they are sealing. The motor well holes are above the water line. Get a little water in if backing hard but not enough to worry.
Maybe I will leave it alone. :roll:

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Buzz, wondering the same thing. New Verado 150 is 80 lbs. heavier. Thinking about using the hatch between the helm seats for both batteries. Just have'nt figured out how to run all the wires.

BUZZCUDA

Reaction score
cd,
I don't have a major problem just trying to resolve a smaller anoyance. I also wanted a little more room for a possible salt water wash down pump. When I baught two new batteries to go with my new outboard I was mistakenly given two heavier duty batteries than necessary. I should have been a better sport and gotten the smaller ones that are a little lighter. But I ran with them. :) The more Iam thinking about it I may just leave them, as it is not a big problem (yet) :? I don't know if the cost and labor is worth it.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you do not feel comfortable with water coming on the deck, I would change your battery location to somewhere forward iof at all possible. Yuo should not need to change your battery wire gauge, it should be the correct size even for a longer run. Another option is to add a rubber strip along the well fold down. This will create a tight squeeze and will eliminate water from coming into the cockpit.