my dog & my grady

tp13

Reaction score
Question for all you out there with cabin on your boat....hopefully this won't get thought of as stupid or too many laughs. Anyways, I'm a new grady (new to me) owner, just getting an '05 gulfstream over the winter. I've always had center consoles in the past, this is my first boat with a cabin. My dog loves to go on the boat with me and my wife. Now that we have the cabin, we'd like to be able to just stay out for the night occasionally, but I'm trying to figure out how to deal with our dog for the full night for when he needs to go to the bathroom. How have any of you out there with dogs dealt with this?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Get a piece of washable, indoor-outdoor carpet. Depending on the size of your dog, it can be 2'x2' or up to 4'x4'.

Keep the dog on a leash, and train the dog to use the carpet to do both. The urine can just be hosed off, and the poop can be picked up then hosed off.

Once the dog is used to that carpet, you can bring it to the boat and use it in the cockpit. Dog will be more likely to use it if also on a leash, just as when off the boat.

Best of luck,
Brian

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My dog used to be able to go all night - if we were traveling for a few day we would build our plans around where we could get him on a dock so that he could get a walk in and do hit business. It is not easy but it is do-able with right planning. Even if you are on a mooring overnight there is generally a courtesy float somewhere close by to let you get your freiend off.

Frank

Reaction score
My dogs have understood they weren't getting off for a while and limited how much they drank, so we just tried to make sure to get to shore in reasonable periods (say every 4-6 hours).

I have moored out with a dog, lifting it over the side into an inflatable life raft, rowing to shore, and rowing back. You really need some sort of lift or winch to assist with getting the dog off and on the boat if the dog weighs much as the inflatable bobs up and down a lot. It would work a lot better with a tuna door, but the Gulfstream doesn't have one.