Need new gas caps, or clean/polish?

osubux1

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I noticed that my two gas caps are a bit corroded on top. The picture doesn't really show it very well as I zoomed in too much. But, on the top, there are various spots of blue/green coloring/corrosion. I was putting my cover on and didn't have time to try some general cleaning at the time. And now, I'm not going to be back on the boat for about 4-6 weeks. Can I clean/polish these myself to remove the blue/green corrosion, or do I need new caps?

Grady - Gas Caps.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
Does your cover go over the caps? I will assume the caps are chromed.

I can't tell if the chrome is oxidized or if it was worn off. Perhaps there was some sort of reaction between the chrome and the boat cove ( if they were covered)
Try some polish like Flitz to see if the finish will clean up

osubux1

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
No, the cover does not go over the caps. And, nothing has worn off. When you say oxidized... That is what I think I meant to say. It looks like it has turned a kind of typical blue/green. And maybe that is from oxidizing.

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Just try to polish them, if it's not working satisfactory then buy new ones.
Polishing will work for maybe a season and then the green stain resurface, it's usually the brass below oxidizing.
Chris

Reactions: osubux1

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That's a Perko cap - very easy to locate and buy.

But, yes, you could polish it with metal polish as noted above... and as long as you keep up on it, it will stay looking better - at least for a while. You will NOT get rid of the pitting, though.

Fishtales

Reaction score
No replacement unless your anal about them. Def change the O-rings that make the seal though.