New flooring for new Grady

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am seriously considering woven acrylic carpeting for my 2024 Grady White 215 freedom. The advantageous, are in my opinion are softer on the feet, less slippery, easier to clean and slight amount of noise reduction plus I think it looks better. We don’t fish and use the boat for day trips, swimming and inviting friends on harbor cruises. Besides the obvious cost, the “cons” to flooring are the additional work of putting it in , taking it out and storing. We are considering a carpet that will not be glued or “snapped” down. We have friends that have done this with their Grady Adventure and it has worked out well. Would appreciate comments from people who have tried this or know about experiences of others..Thanks. Lew

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm very, very familiar with the woven VINYL flooring... but wasn't aware of woven "acrylic'? The vinyl stuff is fantastic - super durable and virtually no mainentance as you just hose it off and it dries nearly instantly if you hang it over your bimini top. The darker colors can get hot on bare feet, though.

Don't count on any noise reduction :)

tech_dog

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I've got a 1995 Tournament 192 and I use removable carpeting for wakeboarding and scuba. It provides a cushion for dropped items, it keeps things from sliding, and it looks good. For fishing I just pull it out and roll it up.

When picking your carpet look for something with a stiff non-slip backing, or plan on gluing it to additional backing. Some carpet slides and/or doesn't hold its shape. Also make sure you know how it will impact any hatches. I accepted one hatch where I have to roll back carpet to gain access.

I've redone it several times, but the most recent is a polypropylene carpet glued to 1/8" EVA foam. I like the look and it's easy on the feet.

1724716280015.png

T.

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
easier to clean
Hmmm, honestly i don't think that a carpet will be easier to clean as it will trap sand, dust, etc and if you should fish it will become a disaster.
I have no issues cleaning my non-slip gelcoat floor, after d day of fishing i just hose it down and every now and then i use boat soap to deep-clean Nor do i consider it as excessive slippery barefoot or with boat shoes, but it's probably because i am used to it, but i agree that a carpet would be a less slippery.

Synthetic teak may be the better solution, but only if a quality product and installed by serious, knowledgable installer.

As above already written, use the lightest colour you can find, i painted the dive rib in a lighter gray and we had to drop water on it to not burn our feets.

Chris

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Something to consider is a product out of Australia called Woody Wax. when applied correctly it makes fibreglass decking easy to clean and can last several months. I use it annually through the fishing season.

luckydude

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer

The 8th picture is my boat. I love that stuff. Only thing I'd change is get a lighter color, it does get hot. My install is in 2 pieces, the front "T" that is at the helm and a big piece that covers the cockpit. Contrary to what people say, the fish guts wash out just fine. I did build a frame out of 2x4s that I covered with fencing, I lay the carpet on that upside down and run water through it, that washes the guts out.

I absolutely love this stuff, I've got screwed up feet and this makes the boat way more comfortable. It's sticky on the under side and doesn't slide around. Great stuff, would 100% buy it again.

Reactions: tech_dog

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have been using a cheap better homes and garden area rug from walmart in my cockpit. Its rubber backed, doesn't slip, is machine washable and folds up when not in use. its perfect for island/swimming days, cocktail cruises and dock partys. We put it down when needed, otherwise it folds up neatly in a bag.

luckydude

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
So you take it out to wash it, correct?
Correct, I take it out to wash it, then I wash the boat. It lives outside the boat except when I fish.

It's worth mentioning that I'm an older dude and I really like that this stuff is in 2 pieces, it's easy to roll it up and toss it back into the boat.
Can't say enough good things about it, it's way cheaper than seadek and more practical.

Last edited:

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Correct, I take it out to wash it, then I wash the boat. It lives outside the boat except when I fish.
Ok, then a carpet makes more sense to me, i thought it's a glued down or else fixed carped as runabouts or pontoon boats have., however that may be a PITA as i have my boat in a slip. I am a older dude as well and so i search for solutions what makes life easier, and not only regarding boating.

One thing i used successfully was a anti-fatigue mat in the cockpit to give a bit more relax to my feet in long days of chartering.

Chris

luckydude

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Ok, then a carpet makes more sense to me, i thought it's a glued down or else fixed carped as runabouts or pontoon boats have., however that may be a PITA as i have my boat in a slip. I am a older dude as well and so i search for solutions what makes life easier, and not only regarding boating.

One thing i used successfully was a anti-fatigue mat in the cockpit to give a bit more relax to my feet in long days of chartering.
Give the deckadence a try, it's like the whole boat has anti-fatigue matting. It's great. It was about $1300 to do my boat vs a quote for $7000 to do seadek and I like the carpet better than seadek, it's easier to clean.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lucky,,,, I'd be afraid this stuff would get funky with the slime with our boys trip catfishing for a week? Otherwise, I like the idea.
20171002_172821.jpg

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

luckydude

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Lucky,,,, I'd be afraid this stuff would get funky with the slime with our boys trip catfishing for a week? Otherwise, I like the idea.

So I don't cat fish but I've had so many rock fish on my boat I had to use both sides of the fish boxes, a LOT of fish. I still love this carpet or whatever you want to call it, I pull it out and push water through it. I've learned to not pressure wash it because that breaks it up and you put it back in the boat and you have all the tiny fragments. So I wash it with my 60psi hose and it is fine.