• IMG_7933.jpeg
    IMG_7933.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
Reactions: PointedRose

yakoun

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looks sharp! Are you planning to run the canvas/eisinglass curtains?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I see a number of posts here for members looking for used hardtops for older boats. Highly unlikely they will find one in any decent shape but they don't want to hear it. You made the right choice to have it made.

Two years ago I took on the project to refinish my 25 year old hardtop. Edge chipping of gel coat, grass and mold growing on top. Aluminum pitted. Most people I talked to said to just buy it new - and they were right. I decided to do it myself anyway. It was a lot of work and if I had to pay someone to do it buying new was the right answer. It worked for me - I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out but it's not the right answer for everyone.

Point is a 20+ year old hardtop and aluminum structure will be junk and require significant refinishing.

Hardtop on.jpeg

Also just refinished the bow pulpit and anchor locker hatch. AwlCraft 2000 and sprayed non-skid.
Bow Pulpit refinished.jpeg Bow Pulpit.jpeg Gel Chips.jpeg Gel fail.jpeg Hardtop top 2.jpeg Base Port.jpeg Base Star.jpeg

Last edited:

Norcoastal

Reaction score
I see a number of posts here for members looking for used hardtops for older boats. Highly unlikely they will find one in any decent shape but they don't want to hear it. You made the right choice to have it made.

Two years ago I took on the project to refinish my 25 year old hardtop. Edge chipping of gel coat, grass and mold growing on top. Aluminum pitted. Most people I talked to said to just buy it new - and they were right. I decided to do it myself anyway. It was a lot of work and if I had to pay someone to do it buying new was the right answer. It worked for me - I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out but it's not the right answer for everyone.

Point is a 20+ year old hardtop and aluminum structure will be junk and require significant refinishing.

View attachment 35082

Also just refinished the bow pulpit and anchor locker hatch. AwlCraft 2000 and sprayed non-skid.
View attachment 35083 View attachment 35084 View attachment 35085 View attachment 35086 View attachment 35091 View attachment 35092 View attachment 35093
It came out really nice. I don’t have those skills.