New member seeking Gulfstream knowledge/advice

GH02050

Reaction score
I am looking at 232's from 2008 / 2016. If older, it would likely be freshly repowered and if newer it would probably original power to be my price range. I found one I like and it looks pretty clean but has some staining on the transom coming from where the swim platform is bolted on. I'm a little concerned this is a sign of a wet transom. It didn't think the Gulfstream was known for this but I also know anything is possible. Would you be concerned about this? Sorry about the crappy image quality. This is a 2010. Any insight or advice as to what to look for when inspecting a 232 is welcome.

gwCapture.JPG

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I always recommend that any buyer use a surveyor to inspect the boat for them before purchasing. If you don't want to use a surveyor and feel confident going over things on your own, then that works too. But, I'd either have a surveyor go over it, or go over the entire boat myself, with a moisture meter and/or rubber mallet and see what it says on the reader as well as how it sounds like tapping the hull with the mallet. If it's just that one spot and there isn't any, or very little water intrusion, then I'd back the screws and hardware out of there, re-seal everything and then go from there. It's also possible that some of the hardware itself could be rusting and is the reason for the rust stain on the back there. I've got a similar spot on top of the swim step for one of the bolts/screws holding the top of the ladder/bracket down where the head of it is rusted over.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
50/50 on wet transom oozing out or rusting hardware

GH02050

Reaction score
I appreciate the replies. Good point, I hope it is just rusty hardware. I haven't decided on a surveyor yet but I also haven't ruled it out. I'm confident in my own ability for the most part. I've been on the water for 20 years and & have replaced or repaired nearly everything along the way. If I feel like it needs a second set of eyeballs, I'm happy to pay a licensed surveyor. I'll get to see it in person Tomorrow.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Most surveyors are between $500-$1k and imo are well worth the money, especially for a good one, and as you mentioned to put a second set of eyeballs on the boat as well as everything else. They might see something that you don't, and vice versa, as well as if you're spending $60k+ on a boat... I'd think the extra $1k spent on a surveyor would be an easy decision to make.

seasick

Reaction score
I am not as concerned about the rust runs. This is a common issue with swim platforms, primarily because the platform is under a lot of stress when used and as a result things like mounting screws, move a bit breaking the seal and allowing moisture to seep in. There are rust runs under the left side of the platform also.
A full survey with a moisture survey would probably show the extent of moisture. I think it is a minor issue.

If I were buying a 232, I would probably be looking for one powered by twins. The 232 is a wide and heavy boat and can be a handful in gnarly sea conditions. A lot depends on what kind of boating you do and where you do it.

Last edited:

GH02050

Reaction score
I am not as concerned about the rust runs. This is a common issue with swim platforms, primarily because the platform is under a lot of stress when used and as a result things like mounting screws, move a bit breaking the seal and allowing moisture to seep in. There are rust runs under the left side of the platform also.
A full survey with a moisture survey would probably show the extent of moisture. I think it is a minor issue.

If I were buying a 232, I would probably be looking for one powered by twins. The 232 is a wide and heavy boat and can be a handful in gnarly sea conditions. A lot depends on what kind of boating you do and where you do it.
Thank you for your assessment of the rust stains. I hear you on the twins but I really want a single 300. I know we could run in circles all day about handling and efficiency. I'm in MA and will be using the boat in Cape cod Bay & Stellwegan bank. Occasionally, weather permitting I'll go 35 miles offshore. I do all of this in my current ride which is 23' 8.6 beam / single screw. I used to go fishing on days you shouldn't, I'm older now and a wee but wiser. I did speak with a local surveyor tonight and I will go that route if I decide this is the one.

Reactions: Peter A

seasick

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. The 300 is a good fit and you know what to expect handling wise.
Good luck with your search.

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
You might find a 232 with a 350 v8. I saw one recently for sale in the mid-Atlantic region. The later v8’s are good motors by some opinions provided they receive the required (Yamaha-paid) regular replacement of the flywheel damper. That would be the “b” and “c” series units. Others don’t want to have anything to do with the 350. I had been doing some research on this at one point in time

I do remember talking to the guys at Jacobsen’s, the Grady dealer in Seattle. They absolutely loved the way the 232 drove with the single 350, notwithstanding as a single it needed a good hand at the wheel and throttle to dock in crappy conditions. The comment was that the big engine had a ton of torque and the lift at the back was tremendous swinging a big prop and with less drag in the water, it was a performer in Puget Sound waters.

If you see a 232 with the 350v8, probably will be a chance to negotiate price based on motor reputation and you can make your own call on the actual reliability.

seasick

Reaction score
I wouldn't opt for the 350 even if you gave it to me. A brand new 350 maybe but's it only out a year or so and I prefer not to buy the first year of any engine.
You might find a 232 with a 350 v8. I saw one recently for sale in the mid-Atlantic region. The later v8’s are good motors by some opinions provided they receive the required (Yamaha-paid) regular replacement of the flywheel damper. That would be the “b” and “c” series units. Others don’t want to have anything to do with the 350. I had been doing some research on this at one point in time

I do remember talking to the guys at Jacobsen’s, the Grady dealer in Seattle. They absolutely loved the way the 232 drove with the single 350, notwithstanding as a single it needed a good hand at the wheel and throttle to dock in crappy conditions. The comment was that the big engine had a ton of torque and the lift at the back was tremendous swinging a big prop and with less drag in the water, it was a performer in Puget Sound waters.

If you see a 232 with the 350v8, probably will be a chance to negotiate price based on motor reputation and you can make your own call on the actual reliability.
And if you see a 232 with an Evinrude I'll bet you can negotiate a lower price:)

GH02050

Reaction score
I feel the same way about both of those motors. IMHO Yamaha 350's are a nightmare and Evinrude is simply just done. I'd welcome the additional power of the 350 but not the headaches that come with that motor.

seasick

Reaction score
I feel the same way about both of those motors. IMHO Yamaha 350's are a nightmare and Evinrude is simply just done. I'd welcome the additional power of the 350 but not the headaches that come with that motor.
Wow, I was expecting an argument from somebody about my 350 comment since I usually get grief each time I make comments:)
There is still time I guess.

GH02050

Reaction score
I crawled all over this boat yesterday and it is very clean in side and out. I'm told, but will verify, all systems are in good working order (except the spot light). The only issue that I see visually that bothers me is the swim platform mounting bracket. I took my own pictures (included here). The bracket is pulled away a bit and has weeping stains on both sides. The current owner tells me his survey in 2019 didn't show any signs of it being wet. I didn't see the survey, but I have no good reason to think his is being deceitful.

IMG_5145sm.jpg

IMG_5145-sm1.jpg

Inside of the transom looks good.
IMG_5145-sm.jpg

I am seriously considering making an offer today, obviously with some contingencies. I have not figured out exactly what my contingencies will be, but the integrity of the hull, and all systems on the boat including the power plant are expected to be in good working order. The deposit will be refundable, but I'll be out at least $1500 if the sea trial goes poorly. It's going to cost about 750 for the survey and between 450-800 for the marine transport company to taking it off the jacks and transport it to the water. 800 represents taking the boat back to the owner / jack stands. If the sea trail goes well, it will stay in the water and I will bring it back to my homeport by sea.

Open to any and all comments / advise.

seasick

Reaction score
That's classic signs of common crevice corrosion caused by moisture seeping into the poorly sealed bolt hole, bracket and washer. It does not automatically mean the transom is damaged by rot. I might expect an area of elevated moisture around the mounting bolt but that in itself is not a big deal. I would guess that if you have a whole hull moisture test, you will find 'wetter' areas in places like locker lids, garboard drain area, etc.

Last edited:

GH02050

Reaction score
Thank you I appreciate the insight, it definitely puts me at ease some. It kills me that a 14yr old boat (6yr old motor) is going to cost what it is. I plan keep this for a long time, well beyond the motors life. I could be the last boat I purchase.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Were I you, I would remove those lag bolts holding the swim platform braces to the transom and push a long thin screwdriver or icepick into the hole at a big angle, feeling for rotten wood out to the side of the holes. I no longer own a nice Grady due to that exact issue. If the owner doesn't want you to, it tells you the owner knows more than he's letting on. An owner should welcome proof of a solid transom or early warning of impending issues.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'd wait to see what the surveyor says on the boat and as I mentioned above, make sure they have moisture meter reader/rubber mallet to go over the boat with. If they don't, spend the $50 or so and get one yourself to bring with you when you inspect the boat with the surveyor. Also as I mentioned above, it looks like it could be an issue with some water intrusion but also some rusted hardware. As you mentioned, it's a 14 year old boat and the bolt threads going into the stern could have some rust on it, which would account for the water stains. To me, it doesn't sound like the seller is hiding anything as it seems unlikely that a seller would agree to a surveyor to inspect the boat if they were trying to hide things. The other picture you posted looks to show a very clean/tidy looking boat, which if you crawled all over it and only found the one potential issue, I'm thinking you've found a decent boat/seller. Pending a favorable survey, I'd then back the swim ladder hardware out, get new hardware and reseal it. I also was out $600-$700 when I paid a surveyor to go look at a boat for me that was out of state and that boat came back as not being in the condition it was advertised to be in. It was frustrating to be out the $600-$700 for the surveyor, but if it keeps you out of buying a can of worms, then imo it's money well spent. If you do drive the boat on the water back to your home port, I'd obviously run quite a bit of fuel through it and make sure everything is running/working fine before taking off. On top of that, I'd check to see if you have a Sea Tow membership on your insurance in the event that you break down or have issues, especially depending on how far of a ride it is from one location to the other. In regards to your contract, or potential contract, I'd say the deal is contingent upon a favorable survey/sea trial run, and make sure you note that the down payment or whatnot is refundable in the event that there is an issue. On the flip side of the coin, there is always a possibility that the seller had the boat surveyed in 2019 and there wasn't an issue at the time but there became one over the last 5 years. Doing your due diligence, hiring a good surveyor and listening to what they have to say I think is going to be your best bet.

Reactions: GH02050

GH02050

Reaction score
Thank you. I am trying to work out the offer to include the contingencies. I need to define the criteria which constitutes a pass/fall of the survey/sea trial. I'm struggling a little with how granular this should be. I expect everything to be in working order (this is what I was told) and I would like to list nearly everything ..ie.

VHF radio, radar, sounder, lights, horn, wipers, music radio/speakers, trim tabs, tilt & trim, windless anchor, marine head/macerator, fuel tanks, washdown/livewell/bilge pumps. The motor should have good even compression on all cylinders and operate under power up to recommended RPM’s (Suzuki specs). The hull and swim platform should be free and any water intrusion or structural defects.

But in reality I would not cancel this deal over anything small (as in bilge pumps, radios ...)

I will ask the Marine survey company for some advice on this and of course all of you :) - I really appreciate you all - this is a big decision for me.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
But in reality I would not cancel this deal over anything small (as in bilge pumps, radios ...)
I think that is a smart way to look at it. You don't want to ruin a deal on a good boat over a few small items, especially if you are a do-it-yourselfer. When going over the boat checking things, just make notes of the things that don't work and use those facts to help with making your offer reasonable.

Do be very suspect of the transom and swim-deck coring till you are satisfied they are sound. I spent a year refurbishing a 228 and then found a problem that was estimated to be 6-$10K. Good luck and be careful.

GH02050

Reaction score
Our offer was accepted, we are working towards the coordination of the marine transport and survey. If everything checks out we will finalize the deal on the water after a successful sea trial, then take it my home port / slip by sea (15 miles). In the worst case scenario, a deal breaking survey report, the marine hauler will be waiting to pick her up and return her to the sellers yard & back on the jack stands she goes.

I am hoping for the a smooth transition to my possession. Otherwise this has all been an expensive exercise. Fingers crossed....

It's exciting, stressful and also a weird feeling of moving on from my beloved boat of 20 yrs.

Last edited: