New Owner - Checklist anywhere?

JJonesIU80

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 325
New owner of a Freedom 325. Former private pilot where we had checklists for EVERYTHING! Wondering if I can be pointed in right direction for videos or checklists that are out there. Obviously will modify for specific model. Lots of videos on why you should by a Grady, but none that tell you what to remember as you step on and off the dock.

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Try the Captain Grady App. Get the checklist thing! Also everything I use for the boat while operating is packed and stored on the boat. I have a cheat sheet on what and where I have stuff in case somebody else needs to get it. First aid kit, basic tool kit, spares, safety gear, extra water, docking lines, second anchor. Also have a cheat sheet for vhf and for emergency towing in case somebody needs to reference.

Reactions: Twist

luckydude

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Since halibut are biting, here's LIST.halibut. I have lists for albacore, BFT, fishing on Jens' boat, fishing on Peter's boat, etc.

$ cat LIST.halibut
Tackle
Go back to the big spreaders [TODO]
Try 1.25 feet of line to weight [TODO]
Bounce manually [TODO]

Before working the list
Goop my feet [TODO]
Clean the ice bottles and move to freezer [TODO]

Today
2 & 1.5lb weights to boat [TODO]
Sabiki rigs to boat [TODO]
Clean carpet and put in boat [TODO]
Net/gaffs [TODO]
One last rinse? [TODO]
Foul weather gear [TODO]
Check the gas level [TODO, plenty]
Chair in boat [TODO]
Wash the glass [TODO]
Hitch it up [TODO but still on jack]
Bumpers and lines in. [TODO]
Towels in boat [TODO]
Sunglasses in boat [TODO]
Boat boots in boat [TODO]
Plugs in [TODO]
Check tire pressure and air bags pressure [TODO]
Everything inside the boat [TODO]
Straps good, safety stuff good [TODO]
Dramamine in boat [TODO]
Walk around [TODO]

Here tonight:
Ginger ale in fridge [TODO]
Water bottles in fridge [TODO]
Trailmix [TODO]
Chips [TODO]
Ham & cheese sandwich [TODO]
Lay out clothes [TODO]
Hat in truck [TODO]
Knives in boat if I have to clean fish there [TODO]

Bedtime
Dramamine [TODO]
4:00am alarm on phone, phone plugged in bedroom [TODO]

Morning
Coffee [TODO]
PB&J sandwich [TODO]
Egg tasty or apple [TODO]
Ice in water cup [TODO]
Gather Ginger ale, water cup and bottles, apple, sandwich, chips, trailmix [TODO]
Ice for fish [TODO]
Phone [TODO]
Wash glasses [TODO]
Sunscreen [TODO]
Tackle to boat w/ sunscreen [TODO]
Check for wallet [TODO]
Goop my feet [TODO]
Fleece [TODO]
Jack all the way up [TODO]
Remove the trickle charger plug and tuck it inside [TODO]
Walk around [TODO]

Gas station:
Gas it up and put the additive in [TODO]

Harbor:
Wipe down the glass
Antennas up
Walk around
Usual launch stuff, straps, safety, a little slack on the winch

Reactions: Peter A

luckydude

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I don't have a list for coming home, it's put down antennas, walk around and make sure engines are up, straps on, everything tucked away.
At home I wash the brakes first, then do 15 minutes of flush on both engines, then wash the outside of the boat and the trailer. Then I clean fish and I'm usually pooped. If I have energy I'll pull the carpet and wash the inside of the boat and the carpet. That usually happens the next day unless I have bloody decks, then I rally and do it the same day.

Feel free to DM me, I'll share all the lists if you like. I'm 4 years into my Grady and I still like the lists, I forget stuff if I don't put it on the lists.

In case it isn't obvious, I replace "TODO" with "done" as I'm working my way through the list. I'll go out and put the carpet in, chair in, do a handful of other things, come back to my laptop and change stuff to "done". Shrug. It works for me.

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Bimini
New owner of a Freedom 325. Former private pilot where we had checklists for EVERYTHING!
but none that tell you what to remember as you step on and off the dock.
Hmmm, don't understand me wrong, how long are you boating?
Your question let me believe that you are new to boating; in this case i suggest that you first get a captain or boating experienced person to teach you how to boat and the few things to do before you leave the dock.
Once you are comfortable with boating and your boat then a check list should not be necessary except you have to load and unload her every time what may lead to forget things home/on land.

I passed my last 30 years working in my own scuba diving and sport fishing companies and i have to admit that in the beginning i forgot some things on land, but with growing experience i almost never forgot anything, not gear not things to do on the boat.

What i check almost every time before leaving the dock is
weather forecast, the night before and the morning before driving to the marina
checking my boat backpack if InReach, PLB, Boat documents, boat keys are inside, wallet and cellphone too
check fuel aboard and a quick calculation if it will be enough for what i have planed + 20% safety margin
check if batteries show a sign of weakness
check if safety gear is aboard
check if fishing gear and bait is aboard
check if food and water is aboard, particularly water and a lot of it
check of strange odours inside cabin, console or bilge area
check if bilge pumps are working
check if electronics are working and GPS signal /charts are ok, VHF working
firing up the outboards and listening to strange noises, smoke or smell
and off i am

Chris

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’m not sure what specifically you’re looking for in regards to a checklist but for launching the boat and retrieving it… boat, trailer, hitch, everything hooked up and trailer lights working. In regards to the boat itself, life jackets, other safety things like flares, tool kit, whatever food and beverages you want to bring along as well as potential fishing gear. At least a couple of dock lines, bumpers for the docks and most importantly would be the drain plug(s) as well as the keys. When I pull into or leave a dock, I have everything prepped beforehand so I’m not scrambling at the last minute. Look to see what side of the dock you’ll be on so you can prepare the bumpers and dock lines. Put the plugs in the boat obviously beforehand and keep the keys in your pocket. Don’t unhook the safety chain on the trailer until you’re floating and having a buddy help the first couple of times is always beneficial.

With pulling the boat out or driving it somewhere on the trailer, I always raise the motor up, latch it, kill the batteries with the switch, put the radio antenna down and check for clearances such as sides and especially overhead. Making sure the boat is level on the trailer, both the winch hook and safety chain are fastened as well as the tow straps on the rear. Pull the plug, drain out the water and do a 360° walk around of the boat and truck to make sure everything is good. For my situation it’s a bit different because I leave my boat on a mooring buoy in front of my beach cabin. But when I do come back to the buoy, I double check to make sure it’s hooked up to the buoy. Then I kill the motor, lift it out of the water, kill the batteries, put all the downriggers and other fishing gear inside the cabin, lock the cabin door, put the cover on the outboard, put the keys in my pocket and double check to make sure the batteries are shut off.

mykidzmomnow

Reaction score
Model
Express 360
New owner of a Freedom 325. Former private pilot where we had checklists for EVERYTHING! Wondering if I can be pointed in right direction for videos or checklists that are out there. Obviously will modify for specific model. Lots of videos on why you should by a Grady, but none that tell you what to remember as you step on and off the dock.
As a wife to a pilot and mom to pilot sons, I feel ya. We are making one as we go along - constant editing.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Let's build up a little background on who you are and where are you located? So much of this depends on how you plan to use the boat and where you plan to use it. Put a fence around it. There are countless lists. What do you want to know?

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
2003 GRADY WHITE 330 Express

Here is a check list/procedure list that I use on my 33 Express. If desired, gives you a starting point to make a list for your boat. Good luck!

At Dock:

With shore power connected, switch under rear starboard gunnel must be in the “on” position.

Main Panel In Cabin – Flip on shore power switch (versus generator) when 110 power is coming into boat. Switch on battery charger to charge 4 house/starting batteries if needed.

To use generator, open seacock under stern deck plate, switch on generator option (versus shore power) on main panel, switch on blower on main panel, and start generator with start switch.

To use AC/Heat, generator or shore power must be active, A/C seacock under stern deck plate must be open, flip on AC switch on main panel, and turn on and operate system from control/thermostat panel in the cabin above am/fm radio.

There are 2 master battery switches (in cockpit bulkhead compartment) for four engine/house batteries. Note that when the battery charger main panel switch is on (with shore power or generator) it will provide charging as needed to the house/starting batteries.

When Leaving Boat at Dock - close 3 seacocks (Generator, AC inlet & main bait tank) at stern. Close both seacocks (stock bait tank & head discharge) in cabin floor under rear berth. Switch both master battery switches to off.

When Running:

BEFORE DEPARTING FROM DOCK, ANCHORAGE OR MOORING, MAKE SURE THE STERN LADDER IS STORED ON THE AFT BULKHEAD AND THE GENERATOR AND AIR CONDITIONER SEACOCKS ARE CLOSED.

Before departure, unplug 110-shore power cord and flip switch under gunnel to “off” position. Turn “off” shore power switch on main panel. Turn cockpit starboard battery switch to “1” and port battery switch to “2”. Note - when running, engine alternators will charge all 4 batteries, when battery switches are in the above positions. Note – the 2 port batteries power the port motor; the starboard batteries power the starboard motor, generator and house devices. When anchoring/docking overnight, charge the batteries as full as possible before retiring. Turn off non-essential DC power drains at night, especially the refrigerator. During the night, keep the DC power switch & the cockpit switch panel switch activated on the main panel in the cabin to insure that the bait pumps and the anchor light stay on (both switches must be activated on the cockpit switch panel).

Head use – To discharge toilet wastewater in holding tank, open head discharge seacock and use key operated panel on the head wall to macerate and discharge waste water. Make sure to close discharge seacock immediately after emptying holding tank or seawater will flow back into the holding tank. Note - when running, always close discharge seacock or seawater will be forced into head holding tank and fill it with sea water.