New to Boating ; Safety Question

Dantheman

Reaction score
Hi all. I purchased a 2006 Gulfstream w/ twin 150s and need to bring it from Delaware to Jersey City where I live. I am new to boating. Am I asking for trouble if i plan on bringing it up myself using the intracoastal or is this something that can be safely accomplished?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have an '07 232 Gulfstream with twin 200 Four-Strokes..

Your boat is plenty seaworthy enough for that jaunt...

If you are new to boating, don't go by yourself..Take a knowledgeable companion with you..there are too many things that could happen that will sneak up on novice boaters.
Have your bud show you the ropes as you go...best way to learn as opposed to reading books...
At your leisure, take a boating course, Coast Guard Auxiliary..Power Squadron, or whatever...That will teach you Chart-reading/Navigation, Seamanship/Boat Handling...All the stuff...

You are starting out with a fairly large boat in coastal waters as opposed to a Bayliner on an inland lake...Start slow, have a good teacher and you'll be hooked from now on,...

Have Fun

Magicalbill....

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The boat can make the run, but those waters can be messy if you do not know them, I'd have it trailered home and then learn to operate it in waters you know and are comfortable with, especially if running alone. If you do make the trip, hire a captain to run with you that makes the run often, he will help you make it safely and teach you how to handle the new boat as well, worth the money if you do run it, running it without one in waters you do not know is a bad risk to take with a new boat. Since you are knew to boating, more reason not to make the trip, too much can go wrong, and once you do get it home, get someone with some knowledge to teach you, do not just go out and take a chance, I've seen too many damage newer boats after buying them because they did not ask for help. My Dad learned to dock our boat the first day from a charter captain docked behind us, he hoped on the boat and for two hours just helped teach him to dock the boat in different conditions, that was the best help he could have had with his first boat. Most boaters will help you if you ask. Especially learning to take advantage of the twins is great, many do not use them properly and do not know when to power one over the other, or to maneuver with one engine to fight a current, or to spin using engines in opposite directions. Twins are awesome once you learn to use them, I'd never go back to a single after the ease of use from twins. Good luck with the boat!!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You are new to boating and have a substantial boat to move around.

Have it professionally moved by a boat mover and launched locally, where you can learn how boats move and stop, practice, and how to gently dock and undock the boat in wind and or current. This is not like parking a car.

If for instance you have to dock along the way, and you don't get it right, don't expect the boat to bounce off whatever you clip. The repair bill can be extensive, including the damage to another boat or property.

Boats are not so good on gas relative to the diesel trucks moving boats over the land, so the savings is little worth it. The dealer should give you a mover reference to save a few bucks too.

Your first long criuse in unfamiliar water with the boat should be one of ease, confidence, and comfort for you and your crew. You need to work up to it, why take any chances.

Have fun and welcome. Come back soon and often.

Tommyboy

Reaction score
Hey Dantheman

I agree with the guys ... I do my boating between Cape May and Ocean City NJ ... you don't want to try and run that solo the first day with your new boat ... I would call a hauler .... I have a guy .... let me know if you'd like his #

Good luck with the new boat .... if you do end up runner her up let me know ... I'm right on your way in Wildwood NJ...............

Tom

gerrys

Reaction score
Your first trip - what a great way to take posession on your new boat! There's no fun in having it hauled. If you have the time to avoid any troublesome weather, search out an experienced Grady (or other twin motor) owner and go for a ride, getting lessons along the way! I'm recooperating from surgery, otherwise I'd drive up there and give you a hand myself.
You didn't give your start point or final destination but normally the ICW is a piece o' cake - learn your navigation and slow handling skills. If you end up in the ocean or the Delaware River, you can learn some larger water skills, faster boat operation, play with twins (spinning, backing, etc) and reading the water - head in, quartering, following seas, etc. Aslo along the way you can review use of the electronics, determining position, what to do in the case of an emergency, etc.

C'mon you Jersey and Delaware guys!!!! Someone ante-up for the trip and share your knowledge and skills!

jehines3

Reaction score
Not a run for the non experienced boater. I'd suggest a capatin or someone who runs those waters often.

I've heard the "ICW" through NJ is a Pain and the outter route better. I'm sure someone here can confirm.

If the boat was bought sans electronics and you plan on dead reckoning and a handheld VHF have it hauled on land. If you don't know what dead reckoning is, have it hauled on land.
jh

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If it doesn't have electronics and you aren't famaliar with the boat or the area DON'T DO IT. Follow the channel or you will run aground through the intercoatal. The outside is faster but if you stay too close to the shore you have hidden jetties to worry about (Barnegat). At the top of Barnegat you have the Point Pleasant Cannal. This time of year it's not that big of a deal consdering what you would have gone through to get there but in the Summer it's a little touchy. It's quite a trip (all day) for your first one, don't do it alone.

Dantheman

Reaction score
Thank you all for responding, and point well taken. It seems like the consensus is that its not the greatest idea to ride it up myself. I will haul up the boat to Liberty Landing Marina in Jersey City and then familiarize myself with it slowly until I learn the ropes. Better safe than sorry :)