New To Me Sailfish 282

Crang

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I have just purchased a 2003 Sailfish 282. It is by far the largest boat I have owned as my current one is a 1991 Overnighter 204C. I am sure I will have lots of questions on how the different systems work and ask the forum for insight. My first question is in regards to the attached photo. Were these hose fittings stock or were they installed later. The hoses that come out of the back are not connected to anything and I don't know what they were for. Thanks in advance.20240811_174047.jpg

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I can't tell you if they where OEM, but i guess not as the position is rather dumb, perfect to hit the knee.
On my 2011 Canyon there is one raw water port similar to yours under the gunnel above the hole for the rods and one in a niche in the seat.
There is a third one in front of the port side fish box and from the GW Canyon Manual it seems that the one under the gunnel was installed by a earlier owner.

However, someone either installed them, one was fresh and the other raw water outlet.
The position makes it easier to connect, but if it would be my boat i would relocate them or check if i could find a recessed version as i am really good in hitting such stuff.
As my Canyon is new to me i did not verified exactly how they are connected, but i guess there are Tees after the raw water pump.

Chris

Seapig

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have just purchased a 2003 Sailfish 282. It is by far the largest boat I have owned as my current one is a 1991 Overnighter 204C. I am sure I will have lots of questions on how the different systems work and ask the forum for insight. My first question is in regards to the attached photo. Were these hose fittings stock or were they installed later. The hoses that come out of the back are not connected to anything and I don't know what they were for. Thanks in advance.View attachment 34834
Congrats on your new boat. Ours is an 01 sailfish with one spot to put water in. IMG_2128.jpeg

Crang

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thank you. I can't wait to fish on it. It will be so much more comfortable than my old boat.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Unless this is the same boat... here's the same year, make and model of boat for sale on Boat Trader which in picture #16 you can see both water outlets. Also, the second attached link is the 2003 brochure for all GW boats of that year, as well as the third link is the owner's manual specifically for a 2003 Grady White 282 Sailfish, which can both be found on the GW website. If you look at the owner's manual on pages 7-21 and 7-22 as well as the pictures on the BT listing, it looks like it's probably a salt water wash down as well as what looks like a cold freshwater wash down. There's also a freshwater shower head underneath the one lid, which I'm assuming your boat should have as well. So, I'm guessing that is a hot freshwater shower, whereas the other two are likely a cold saltwater wash down as well as a cold freshwater wash down? It also appears that there's a 32 gallon water tank somewhere in the stern of the boat, which I'd look for and confirm if that's correct, especially considering since you said the hoses off the backside of the outlets aren't going to anything. Either way, good luck with the boat, congrats on the purchase and don't be afraid to ask questions on here. There's quite a bit of knowledge from this forum, the GW website and so forth.

Last edited:

Seapig

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My raw water wash down is next to the live well. If you don’t have one there I’d guess one is an inlet and the other is the raw water out let once it’s hooked back up. Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_2527.jpeg
    IMG_2527.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have an 04 SF and it does not have either of those outlets. On my boat the fresh water shower is in the port side beside the stern seat. My saltwater washdown is also port beside the live well compartment. You will love the Sailfish it is a great boat. one thing I would check right away is the stern cap. The aluminum cap Grady uses in many case develops holes along the top and sides and allows water in and could cause water damage Many have replace the aluminum bang cap with a vinyl cap. I would ensure the cap is well sealed with caulk - good luck

Crang

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Unless this is the same boat... here's the same year, make and model of boat for sale on Boat Trader which in picture #16 you can see both water outlets. Also, the second attached link is the 2003 brochure for all GW boats of that year, as well as the third link is the owner's manual specifically for a 2003 Grady White 282 Sailfish, which can both be found on the GW website. If you look at the owner's manual on pages 7-21 and 7-22 as well as the pictures on the BT listing, it looks like it's probably a salt water wash down as well as what looks like a cold freshwater wash down. There's also a freshwater shower head underneath the one lid, which I'm assuming your boat should have as well. So, I'm guessing that is a hot freshwater shower, whereas the other two are likely a cold saltwater wash down as well as a cold freshwater wash down? It also appears that there's a 32 gallon water tank somewhere in the stern of the boat, which I'd look for and confirm if that's correct, especially considering since you said the hoses off the backside of the outlets aren't going to anything. Either way, good luck with the boat, congrats on the purchase and don't be afraid to ask questions on here. There's quite a bit of knowledge from this forum, the GW website and so forth.

That is the same boat.

Crang

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I have an 04 SF and it does not have either of those outlets. On my boat the fresh water shower is in the port side beside the stern seat. My saltwater washdown is also port beside the live well compartment. You will love the Sailfish it is a great boat. one thing I would check right away is the stern cap. The aluminum cap Grady uses in many case develops holes along the top and sides and allows water in and could cause water damage Many have replace the aluminum bang cap with a vinyl cap. I would ensure the cap is well sealed with caulk - good luck
That stern cap is in bad shape. I will tackle that over the winter.

Crang

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Ok, I need help with this one. I want to upgrade my stereo so it can play SiriusXm. I already have the Raymarine receiver and 2 Raymarine axiom plus which are mounted in the overhead console. How do I get the wires from the receiver to the stereo connection in the cabin. I don't see how I can route them. I considered mounting a new stereo in the overhead console but I would still need to run speaker wires to the existing speakers. What has everyone else done?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You could run the wire down the pipe attached to the overhead box to the lower box. Lower box - follow wires to the wall behind the aft cabin(should be an access panel in the aft berth). This is the area where your head holding tank, macerator and fresh water pump are installed . From there follow the bue cold water hose to the area behind your refrigerator. The radio should be right above that and you can follow those wires up to it - there may be a shorter route under the deck floor but not sure.