Purchasing a new GW Sailfish

hound

Reaction score
I have grown up with boating in my blood (7 boats), but always on freshwater lakes. I have recently purchased a beach home at Atlantic Beach, NC and we have not had a boat for 2.5 years due to my wife's battle with cancer. I promised her that I would raise our 2 and 5 yr. old kids on the water with a boat. I have researched every make and model for the past 2.5 years, and have decided on a GW Sailfish. Largest boat I've ever had is a 21ft. I'm a little intimidated by the size of the Sailfish, but feel it fits the needs of me and my kids. It will be used to sandbar hop with the kids, and offshore fishing for me and my buddies. Anyone have an opinion as to whether or not the Sailfish is to much to bite off for my first saltwater boat? I need the cabin for the young ones - would love to begin some overnight adventures as well as having the security of the bigger boat and the versatility it provides - gives the kids what they want, and allows me to have the fishing capabilities I want. Your suggestions/comments would be most helpful. I definitely want a Grady - buy nice or buy it twice. Also, I was considering the Gulfstream, but with between my parents and getting my young ones over the wide transom, I really need the walkthru transom door.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would think that you will do just fine on your Sailfish. And before you know it, those young'uns will be piloting the boat for you. Just take it easy until you feel comfortable with it.

God bless!.... from someone who went through exactly what your family is going through!

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just bought our first saltwater boat and selected the GW Sailfish. I definetly wanted walkaround for protection of cabin for wife and child. We seriously considerd 226 Seafarer and Gulfstream, but finaly went with Sailfish due to the following reasons:

1. Twin engines. Sence of additional security having two engines vs one Two engines expands my option for distance offshore. 28 feet with 9'6 beam is nice lenght to width ratio and not too short for this wide of a beam.

2. Originally was considering trailering thus focus on 226 and gulftstream, but finally realized the amount of time I would trailer to freshwater lakes would be limited so looked at wider beam that sailfish offers. Many people do trailer Sailfish, but I do not have tow vehicle for it and realized I probably would not do it as much as I thought I would.

2. Excellent set up for fishing, yet comfort features for family. Initialy planning fishing within a few miles of shore, but Sailfish gives me the oppprtunity given size and range when skills developed to head to canyons 80 miles offshore NJ coast for tuna on good days so it give me expanded fishing opportunities I could grow into vs having to move up if I went with smaller boats. You may have closer fishing ground in NC so other boats may suit you well. I really liked the 226 and and thought that would be a great first boat, but figured I would be trading up in a year or two and most of my boating will be on open ocean water vs backbays.

3. Cabin much larger and my son loves lower berth so overnight possible for our family of three and being 6 ft tall I can stand up in cabin. I was happy with cabin of 226 and gulfstream, but family was happier with larger cabin and enclosed head.

4. Sailfish provided excellent visabilty at helm. I like the raised position so it increased my confidence in piloting the boat. Bench seating provides family of three can be at helm area if need under the full enclosure in colder weather. My only worry in heavy winds boat has higher side profile than the others with full enclosure on so a bit more tricky for docking.

5. Large enough to be comfortable to entertain with five or more aboard yet, not to large were I cannot feel I cannot manage by myself with one other person.

This was our thought process. The other baot are great boats and the gulfstream is probably the "biggest" 23' boat around . I like the eurostyled transom of sailfish and the higher gunwale offered in the cockpit. Wish you the best in yuor selection, but you cannot go wrong with any of the GW boats. Also we waited and additional year before purchaseing the sailfish due to higher cost over the 226 or gulfstream.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've always owned single outboard powered boats before we bought out 265 express. Going from a single to a twin is a big improvement in handling once you get the hang of it.(I had ran a bunch of twin inboard power diesel boats, but they are a totally different beast prior to purchasing out twin outboard boat) Having twins will also provided a bit of security on the water, and what you gain in amenities, layout and ride in a bigger boat, you will appreciate very quickly. Also, your location in NC is great to do some offshore fishing and that boat can handle that trip without a problem. As you gain experience, both with the boat and with fishing the area, that may be something that you could also possibly get into and I'm sure the kids would love!! Good luck with the boat!!!

TBone

Reaction score
With the boating experience you have, the jump to the sailfish from a 21 footer will be no problem. one day of practicing docking is all you'll need.
I love mine and found it quite easy to manuver, she trailers real nice too!

Good Luck! and I pray for you and your family.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome to Great Grady - it's a tremendouls forum for Grady owners and prospective owners.

Sorry to hear of your plight. My wife battled cancer almost 5 years ago, chemo was horrible, but she's been cancer-free since. Needless to say, we're not waiting around to do anything for later, we're doing it NOW!

The Sailfish is a wise choice for all the reasons mentioned.

You won't have any trouble handling the bigger boat; boats are boats, just different techniques learned for the different sizes and configurations. I've piloted everything from a dinghy to a 65 footer, sail and power, they're all the same and all different.

I have my eye on the Islander and Sailfish. Either a definate possibility for us. Now if the stalled economy would pickup maybe I could sell my motorhome so I could afford that bigger boat. I think my 208 would sell pretty easily.

Get the Grady!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It feels big at first but you get used to it. Once you get used to the twins, you'll love them.

MysticRythms

Reaction score
Website
www.seaville.com
I've had a 21' GW, 24' GW Explorer, 272 Sailfish and currently a 2003 282 Sailfish with F225's. Some of these boats were introduced to me by my father and now I am enjoying the Grady experience with my kids. Guess it's in my blood. My current sailfish I bought new. This boat is great dragging it around shallow water at the beach as well as running it 120 miles offshore. I have put 650 hours on it, some running solo and some with a crew of 5. Two things I have learned in boating is always buy a little more than your budget affords and all boats get smaller in the Ocean. I truly enjoy this boat and only would part with it when my budget would allow for the 330 Express.
Good Luck with your new boat!

hound

Reaction score
Big Thank You

Thanks to all for their input. I hope to get the seatrial knocked out this week or next, depending on when the Lord decides it's time for my wife to ride the tide out of here. Local dealership is well-known for their patience and excellent customer service, so I think I'll get the training I need to get going.
Looking at a new '08 or a very lightly used '07 equipped with only a depth sounder and vhf. I know I definitely want chartplotter (one of the new larger displays) that's plug and play compatible with XM satellite weather. Don't think it's time for radar yet. Any help with suggestions on what kind of gps/chartplotter to negotiate into the deal would also be a big help. I know our dealership favors Furuno products.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you plan to keep the boat a while, or intend to ever use it at night or potentially in fog(which is not planned), I would also get radar. There are many new units out there that can do it all off one screen. Raymarine has a great one that is fairly easy to use, Furuno also has some great systems. The Garmin chartplotters are nice as well. I never thought I needed radar inshore, but over the years I realized how important it is and how much safer it can make a trip. I will never buy a boat without one again. Also, if you do any fishing that may involve following fish under birds, a radar can be a great tool to find them from a distance and improve your fishing. I know radar is not cheap, but if you are spending that much already, and can afford a little more it might really be worth it as well. Talk to your dealer when you make your purchase and see what he feels would be right for your needs and intended use.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If it's in the budget, get the radar.