Raw water winterization

tbuss

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 325
I’m currently setting up my plan for winterizing my Freedom 325 in a few weeks, and I’m not sure of the best/easiest method for running RV antifreeze through my live well and raw water wash down pumps. Both pumps are mounted directly to the seacocks in the bilge.

I have a Seachoice plunger style inboard motor flush tool that fits over the seacocks from under the boat. But I’m not sure about getting the antifreeze to the plunger. I’m thinking the pumps won’t be able suction it up from a hose in a bucket of antifreeze set under the plunger. A hose and funnel gravity feeding from above would work, but I’m doing this single handed so running the pump, filling the funnel and making sure the plunger stays put could be tough. Or I could spend $50 on something like the Seaworks gravity feed system which I think would do the trick.

Any suggestions or ideas? I’m definitely over thinking this. Thanks guys.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The baitwell pump is a centrifugal pump and should be dry. Push release, 1/4 turn and pop it out. Done.
I put a hose on my raw water washdown and pour pink antifreeze back into the pump. Cycle it burp pink stuff out. Take hose off and leave it off. Done.

Freshwater is more involved. I took my hot water heater out. If you have one it's a little bit more complicated. Cold water comes in the bottom of the tank and hot water exits the top. One way to winterize this tank is to reverse the hot and cold lines. There are bypass/reversing kits to do this.

Then I run the tank dry. I have a garden hose connection on my fresh water system. I hook my compressor to it (about 10psi) and blow the water out of all the lines. Then I add a gallon of pink antifreeze to my fresh water tank and pump out as much as possible thru the water lines. Then I go back and blow them out again. Done!

Last edited:

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
similar on the line evacuation. i use a shop vac and draw out as much water as i can on the fresh water system, then 6 gallons antifreeze in the tank and run though all the lines. i recapture antifreeze each spring and use it in the head holding tank and pour into open drains for kicks . on the raw water i draw out the water and then switch sides on the vac and blow out the lines. marina runs antifreeze thru the raw water systems.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
For the livewell I take the hose off the pump, then blow out the line with a shop vac. I then pump antifreeze through the line until I see pink in the livewell. For years I just would blow the line out. But a few years back I bought a 110v water pump to winterize the A/C. So now I just pump in some antifreeze for good measure. My washdown has 2 outlets one at the bow and one in the cockpit. I pull the connections off the pump and blow it out with the shop vac. I will then pour antifreeze in the bow outlet until I see pink in the bilge.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
I havn't had to do this for many years since moving the boat to Fla, but when I had it up in NJ over the winters I used to do it this way:

1) disconnect the raw water intake hose from the sea-cock. (under the cabin step in my boat)
2) insert piece of clear plastic hose into the raw water intake hose (to extend its length)
3) place the other end of the hose into a gallon of antifreeze.
4) turn on the raw water washdown, and pump the pink through the salt water system.

then, using the salt water washdown hose, continue to pump the pink solution into the fresh water holding tank. (you may need a second gallon of antifreeze)

Then use the freshwater hose (and/or marine head flush valve) to distribute the pink solution from the freshwater holding tank throughout the system.

5) disconnect the plastic extension hose and re-connect the salt water intake hose to the seacock.

Done...the Finest way!

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I suppose there's any number of options that can work. Since your pump is direct mounted to the seacock, here's a couple more ideas...

-- Remove the pump from the seacock and plop it into a container of antifreeze and then activate the pump till pink comes out everywhere.
-- Remove the hose from the output of the pump and use a cheap pump (or a gravity fed system plumbed tight to the hose) to get the pink stuff everywhere.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The baitwell pumps are typically Rule centrifugal pumps. Pop out and blow out the line. No antifreeze needed.

The wash down and freshwater pumps are diaphragm pumps and will hold water and freeze. You have to get antifreeze into the housing. The freshwater can be done draining tank and water tank, blowing the lines out and pumping some antifreeze thru.

The raw water wash down is not mounted on a seacock but is connected to one. Bad place to get to pump or hose on mine. I put a hose on the wash down fitting, stick a funnel in it and pour antifreeze in. Cycle the pump and few times and take the hose off. The antifreeze will make its way to the pump.