Re Do Stanchion Bases?

Marcus

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi,
Has anyone ever repositioned the railing stanchion bases on their side and bow handrails?
I have a 1984 Sailfish 255 with some interior leaks when it rains. I will expose and check my rub rail screws but also, my stanchion bases are loose and I know that they are bolted down and the nuts are near impossible to access. Has anyone ever cut the bolts, sealed the existing base location and drilled/screwed the bases 10 cm forward or aft?
Would there be enough material for big screws to bite into, to keep the railing safe?

Thank you.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
if you are going to drill new holes and run screws, just use the existing location. drill out the old bolts, fill the hole with resin, re-drill, and screw in the same location (of course while using sealant)

Reactions: Sdfish

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I know that they are bolted down and the nuts are near impossible to access.
Are you sure they are thru bolted? Take one out and run a drill bit in and check underneath from inside the cabin. I would expect them to be bedded with 5200 and screwed down. I am working on my bow pulpit and rail today and can check.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I would not want to screw them in. Bolting is much stronger/more secure. Unless you're screwing into an extra thick, reinforced area. But it should be obvious if that was done. However, "I think", that the areas in question are not reinforced.

if there's a stanchion or two where you can't reach the nuts, just add an inspection port. It's a 20 minute job to do that and makes life much better.

Butyl rubber tape will be the longest lasting type of sealant for this job.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
IIRC , mine have acorn nuts. I don't know how you would cut the bolts, unless the stanchions are so loose that you can get a hacksaw blade underneath them. If so, I would make sure that every single one can be accessed before cutting one.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Are you sure they are thru bolted? Take one out and run a drill bit in and check underneath from inside the cabin. I would expect them to be bedded with 5200 and screwed down. I am working on my bow pulpit and rail today and can check.
I checked for thru bolting. YES they are. Midship and forward by the anchor locker were. I'll assume they all are but some my be difficult or impossible to get to. I was able to get my hand on these up in the tow rail.
IMG_0012.JPG

seasick

Reaction score
The bolts don't look all that bad. If the bases are not loose and not oozing rust runs, I would leave them alone.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The bolts don't look all that bad. If the bases are not loose and not oozing rust runs, I would leave them alone.
Those are my thru bolts not Marcus's!

I have six per side and can probably get to all of them from inside the boat.