Replacing gas shocks. Help requested...

osubux1

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I have a 307 Freedom and approximately 3 lids have gas shocks that have broken and I have removed over time, saying... "I'll get to that later". Well, it's now later, and I began my search, but found quite a variety of options on the shocks. Length, weight, etc. Can anyone provide some general guidance on how to decide the length and weight needs for buying the replacements? The base is still there, so it should be just an install type of job (I think). The lids are generally in the aft... livewell lid, etc.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm not sure what year your boat is but here's the parts manual for the model year 2012 and includes a 307 Freedom, of which the "Gas Spring Guide" on page 264 should point you in the right direction in regards to which shocks you need and their respective part numbers. Per a quick Google search, it looks like the company is called Ameritool? I thought they were Taylor Made shocks, but it appears that isn't correct. A quick call up to Ameritool could confirm or deny that, as well as you might need to call them anyway as I don't see a 10-0241 shock anywhere on their website, though it's listed in the parts manual. I'm guessing it's probably an old part number or something similar. Good luck either way.

Reactions: osubux1

OceanSun

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
The ameritool shocks are great because the clasps (that grab onto the ball mounts) are all stainless steel and last longer than the plastic clasps on the taylor made shocks. Taylor Made works just fine if you can't find the Ameritool ones in the correct length/strength. Don't skimp on the strength if you don't find what's called for I did and re-replaced them the next week. Nothing more frustrating than a livewell or fishbox lid that won't stay open when you're trying to use it. I found limited availability online for the Ameritool shocks I needed but my local Grady dealer was able to get them for me on my 2008 232 GS.

Reactions: osubux1

osubux1

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I'm not sure what year your boat is but here's the parts manual for the model year 2012 and includes a 307 Freedom, of which the "Gas Spring Guide" on page 264 should point you in the right direction in regards to which shocks you need and their respective part numbers. Per a quick Google search, it looks like the company is called Ameritool? I thought they were Taylor Made shocks, but it appears that isn't correct. A quick call up to Ameritool could confirm or deny that, as well as you might need to call them anyway as I don't see a 10-0241 shock anywhere on their website, though it's listed in the parts manual. I'm guessing it's probably an old part number or something similar. Good luck either way.

Wow. This parts guide is a gold mine! And mine is a 2011 307, so I would think this is close match, and at least a guide on weights and parts numbers. Thank you!

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

osubux1

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
The ameritool shocks are great because the clasps (that grab onto the ball mounts) are all stainless steel and last longer than the plastic clasps on the taylor made shocks. Taylor Made works just fine if you can't find the Ameritool ones in the correct length/strength. Don't skimp on the strength if you don't find what's called for I did and re-replaced them the next week. Nothing more frustrating than a livewell or fishbox lid that won't stay open when you're trying to use it. I found limited availability online for the Ameritool shocks I needed but my local Grady dealer was able to get them for me on my 2008 232 GS.
That's great to know about Ameritool vs. Taylor Made. Thanks!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wow. This parts guide is a gold mine! And mine is a 2011 307, so I would think this is close match, and at least a guide on weights and parts numbers. Thank you!
If I were a betting man I'd likely put some money down on the fact that they're the same... but that's just me. Hopefully it works out for you and let us know what you decide on going with.