Replacing thru hulls on 2000 Adventure, Is it worth the trouble? does not look easy to do

Charlies Crazy

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have some thru hulls that lost their chrome finish.they are thick, heavy looking and sound but dont look that great.Was gonna try painting one to see how it holds up.
Has anyone replaced them?? the access looks nearly impossible.Charlie

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
which through hulls are you referring to? deck drains? bilge pump? high speed pick up? im assuming you mean deck drain. access usually does suck. if they are sound, then its just a matter of how much the cosmetic bothers you.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If they are chromed bronze, then other than aesthetics... they should be good for many more years.

I don't think paint is going to last very long.

Working on boats is always a challenge - it's just something you need to get used to... or get comfortable writing checks ;) A relatively normal thing to do is to cut access holes for better access.

brdawg2001

Reaction score
I painted mine...I keep my boat on a trailer and not in the water so it has worked out well. I do have to touch them up but it us not a big deal.

billyttpd

Reaction score
96 Adventure owner here. There is no easy convenient way to change them but since they are bronze they really shouldn't fail. Plastic thru hulls will dry rot and crack over time. Glacierbaze is 100 percent correct it's the hoses you need to concern yourself over. Its a job you can do yourself and there are access panels it is just a PITA

Charlies Crazy

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I was trying to buy the plastic thru hulls with the chrome covers and pop the chrome part off and see if I can adhere it to my thru hulls.
Mine are sound, heavy and original factory. Its just soooo nice when they look new though.Charlie

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I was trying to buy the plastic thru hulls with the chrome covers and pop the chrome part off and see if I can adhere it to my thru hulls.
Mine are sound, heavy and original factory. Its just soooo nice when they look new though.Charlie
Not a bad idea. I honestly have no idea if it will fit as I've never tried it. Some adhesive caulk should do the trick if it will physically fit.

seasick

Reaction score
To get to some of the plumbing, you would have to cut new access holes. There just isn't an easier way to get to the spaces you need to access.
I agree about leaving them alone or painting. Bronze lasts a long time but the way it breaks down is not obvious like regular rust and corrosion are.
If you want to paint, the bronze must be cleaned. Use a paste of baking soda and lemon juice, Scrub and let the paste sit for 15 minutes, Repeat as needed. Rinse with water and let dry. To paint, use a lacquer. It will protect the bronze from corrosion ( well, slow it down at least)

I paint my thrus with copper based anti-fouling paint. Since bronze is primarily copper, the bottom paint is fairly compatible.
On the other hand, bottom paint may not be a good thing to have in contact with chromed thrus.

Charlies Crazy

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
To get to some of the plumbing, you would have to cut new access holes. There just isn't an easier way to get to the spaces you need to access.
I agree about leaving them alone or painting. Bronze lasts a long time but the way it breaks down is not obvious like regular rust and corrosion are.
If you want to paint, the bronze must be cleaned. Use a paste of baking soda and lemon juice, Scrub and let the paste sit for 15 minutes, Repeat as needed. Rinse with water and let dry. To paint, use a lacquer. It will protect the bronze from corrosion ( well, slow it down at least)

I paint my thrus with copper based anti-fouling paint. Since bronze is primarily copper, the bottom paint is fairly compatible.
On the other hand, bottom paint may not be a good thing to have in contact with chromed thrus.
AINT CUTTIN NUTTIN!!! thanks.Painting is lookin real good!!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
AINT CUTTIN NUTTIN!!! thanks.Painting is lookin real good!!
IF you need to do this down the road... this is a VERY common/easy thing to do - it might be something that you, personally, aren't comfortable with - but just know that it really is an everyday thing to do for anyone with some experience in this area.

Post some pics when you finish up your "job"! :)

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
cutting isnt too bad, especially if you can put the holes in a location that you could put a speaker in down the road.

Duke1903

Reaction score
I replaced all thru hulls and hoses on my 2000 208 last year and have to say its terrible and sucks hahahahaha