Repower

dolphin252g

Reaction score
I have a 1992 25' Dolphinwith twin 200hp Yamaha's about 800hrs. I'm looking into repowering but I don't know if it's worth the effort or money. Anyone have any thoughts on this please advise. Thanks

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Repowering means no four strokes for that boat, a pair of lightly used HPDI's or Optimax's would be your best bet, anything heavier and that boat will sit too low. You might see a 15-20% savings in fuel a season with newer engines, but unless yours are on their way out or you use the boat 30+ trips a year, its likely they would not pay for themselves quickly. Even if you spend 4k a year, you'd save maybe 1k a year, twin used engines will likely cost you 15k for the pair, more if they are new or barely used, that means you need to use them 15 years to pay them off. Unless you have a reason like more range for offshore trips, I'd say keep therm and run them until they become money pits, then repower. We repowered our 1989 Grady, at the time, the original engine was in for work every 3 months, we knew it was time and we were sick of losing time during the year. To us, the reliability was more important then the cost, after having the engine on the boat 8 year, I doubt it has paid for itself yet, the engine cost us almost 15k new, but nit did provide trouble free seasons and since it is now up for sale, it will bring in a few more bucks, we will likely break even in the end. To see if repowering is right for you, figure out what you burn a season and see how much you will likely save, then weigh all other reasons and see if it fits your budget well. Also do you plan to keep the boat a while, if you plan to keep it less then 5 years, I'd save my money and invest it in something else when the times right, if you plan to keep it for a while it might be worth it.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Unless you don't trust them or they have impending issues, run what you have. Keep the carbs clean, run decent oil, and do a compression check. If the pressures are within 10% (sometimes some cylinders are lower than others, check the manual) run'em and have fun. 800 hours isn't that bad for a well cared for motor.

tiderunner

Reaction score
800 hrs is nothing . Run them till they blow up then make a decision on what to do. You might just want a new boat by then too.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Worth the effort and money? Depends.

How long do you intend to keep the boat after you repower (a very important question) ?
How much fuel do you burn in a season now?
Do you care if you break down during the season, don't mind losing several weeks if the head blows, lower unit goes, T&T, etc.?

The 1990- 1993 Sailfish have both 2 stroke and 4 stroke options for repowering. Converting to non-Yamaha adds about $5K to the job.

The Suzuki 175 and Opti/HDPI/Etec 200HP. Merc makes a small block Verado too. All these motors are similar weight, all have similar fuel burn, 2 strokes need TCIII oil, 4 strokes need more maintenence. One member reported repowereing with twin Suzuki 200s, which are a lot heavier but fit the bracket fine. Another reported repowering with F150s, he was happy, I'd say a little low on the HP scale.

All of these engines will get the job done, there are no crappy engines out there any more, 2 or 4 stroke.

As far as the non-economic evaluation goes, here's the magic formula IMHO:

new motors = new boat

Have fun!