Rinse fuel tank compartment?

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
While reading the owners manual for my 2004 180 Sportsman I came across this...

"WINTERIZATION AND STORAGE - FUEL SYSTEM
The fuel tank compartment should be rinsed with fresh water to keep salt crystals from forming and corroding the fuel tank. After rinsing, make sure all water is drained from the compartment."

FWIW, my tank isn't metal but plastic.

The only access I can see to that area is two 6" round access plates, one is just ahead of the leaning post which is access to the sending unit and line to engine, and a second in the console floor which is access to the fill/breather lines.

The sending unit area does look like it's holding salt residue that is wet, the other area is dry. Are they suggesting I spray these areas down with fresh water? Will the water make it's way down to the bilge?

thanks,

Rob

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yes, there is no worry about issues with the tank, itself. But there could be with the various electrical connections and metal hardware. Yes, any water that gets in there will drain to the aft bilge as long as you don't have the drain tube plugged.

Last edited:

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Thanks Dennis. By "drain tube" do you mean where it comes out at the front bulkhead of the bilge?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i've sprayed the tank tops via the pie plates with simple cleaners like zep and orangeblast. rinsed fully. couple times a year. from the start of ownership, i spray all the connections and ports on top of the tanks (and other things) with T-9 and refresh it regularly.

good luck, ron

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
No deck hatch on a 180. Although I have wondered if it's possible to put one in between the stringers, at the X, for storage...

IMG_1885.JPG

180 stringer layout drawing-2.jpg

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Fuel compartment is isolated and only drains to aft bilge. Remove plug, drain and re-install plug.

Aft bilge 268.jpeg

Reactions: Pat Hurley

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I don't think mine is plugged, I'll check tomorrow.

Why should it normally be plugged? In case tank leaks?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Why should it normally be plugged? In case tank leaks?

Yes. To keep you from blowing up! I don't know why GW tells customers to rinse the tanks but fails to mention the compartment is isolated and plugged for a good reason.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check mine in the morning. May have to hire a orangutan to put the plug in though, gonna need three foot arms....

HMBJack

Reaction score
Side Question:

Shouldn't the drain aft of the Fuel Tank compartment always be left OPEN so as to allow bilge water to drain?

Is keeping it plugged really a safety feature?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Side Question:

Shouldn't the drain aft of the Fuel Tank compartment always be left OPEN so as to allow bilge water to drain?

Is keeping it plugged really a safety feature?
Here is a image from Carolyn @ GW Customer Service. It shows the tubing thru the fuel compartment linking the forward bilge to the aft bilge and it shows the short stubby fuel compartment drain. The fuel compartment plug should be replaced after draining. Yes this is a safety feature. Wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a ABYC requirement.

268 tubing layout.jpg

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Hence the manual's recommendation...

"The access plates on your fuel tank lids keep the fuel compartments sealed. Over time, the opening and closing of these plates causes the o-rings to wear-out. Replace these o-rings as necessary to maintain the watertight integrity of the plates."

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Here is a image from Carolyn @ GW Customer Service. It shows the tubing thru the fuel compartment linking the forward bilge to the aft bilge and it shows the short stubby fuel compartment drain. The fuel compartment plug should be replaced after draining. Yes this is a safety feature. Wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a ABYC requirement.

View attachment 20958
Is the location in the 2002 Islander in the same location? If so, how can anyone possibly access it to remove and replace it. The batteries are located on a shelf directly above the location shown.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
not saying no, but 2 brand new boats from GW and no plugs in mine. '02 gulfstream and '09 330. marlin on the way and i'll let you know. ron

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
No plug in my 2007 330 either. Would be very difficult to reach and put one in. The tube has a rough end in the aft bilge and a simple rubber plug would not likely create a seal anyway. A little trivia, in the older wooden boats I used to run, those passageways thru the ribs are called "limber holes."

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
No plug in my 2007 330 either. Would be very difficult to reach and put one in. The tube has a rough end in the aft bilge and a simple rubber plug would not likely create a seal anyway. A little trivia, in the older wooden boats I used to run, those passageways thru the ribs are called "limber holes."

still are, except if you write "gunnel". :)

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
That's what mine looks like also, an unfinished, angled, end with glass fibers protruding. Hard to get a plug to seal.
Also, if this line was plugged, how would you know if the tank is leaking? It's a sealed compartment.