sail fish splash well drain tubes.

used2sail

Reaction score
So i thought i was finally finished with my pre launch chores on my 282 sailfish. Its been one delay after another this season. Anyway i was cleaning the boat up and prepping for her to go in on Monday when i scrubbed a piece of the flared end of the splash well drain tube off. I was thinking there must be a temporary fix but researching this i find that no one suggests anything other than replacement. It appears i'm gonna need to replace the tubes before it gets launched now. Can anyone tell me what diameter and length i should pick up? I'm at home and its a pretty long ride to the boat. I'd like to pick up the tubes and tool on my way to the boat so that once i get there i can just get to work and knock the job out and get back on track. Thanks in advance for the assistance.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I think there are only 2 sizes and yours will be the bigger ones. Someone in here should be able to give you a measurement. You could also email GW customer service.

used2sail

Reaction score
you are correct, i need 1-1/4" tubes. finished length is 3-1/2" . No one had them anywhere in Portland so i had to order them. the boatyard will allegedly have them tomorrow morning and as a bonus one of the techs is going to loan me his flanging tool! hopefully this is going to be it, and i can finally splash the boat for the season.

Thanks for the link, i've been reading bunches of threads about replacing the tubes and youtube has some videos as well. I'll report back tomorrow and hopefully have some nice pictures of new tubes in my engine well.

used2sail

Reaction score
I got the tubes installed today, the old ones came out with out too much of a fight, I found nice solid dry wood inside which was a very welcome sight. The install was straight forward and came out very nice. 2-1/2 hours from start to finish. The boat is finally ready and is going to get splashed tomorrow.

used2sail

Reaction score
I might as well share a picture of the finished product. I used a Moeller flanging tool to install the tubes, i left the tubes about 3/16" proud of the transom face and the tool rolled a perfect round face on the bit that was sticking out of the hole. A quick clean up and it was as good as new. IMG_1285.jpg