salt water washdown pump

seasick

Reaction score
a little more info would help:)

The biggest issue is the raw water source plumbing. If you have a live well that has a pump connected to a seacock, it may be possible to tap into that water source. One easy way is to swap the livewell pump for a dual outlet model. The second output then connects to a new washdown pump and associated hoses and deck fittings.
Knowing the boat model will help. The electrical can be pretty straightforward if you have a spare breaker/switch position at the helm.

seasick

Reaction score
I suppose the model year would help. Nevertheless is the livewell aft between the aft seats?
Does currently work? If so locate the pump in the bilge and see if it is mounted to a seacock. It may already be a dual outlet type.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have two Rule baitwell pumps that screw into the thru hull shutoff valves. Both have dual ports. The pump circled in lower right corner you can see the short hose coming out and connecting to the Shurflow washdown pump. The Rule baitwell pump goes to a external baitwell on deck and the Shurflow washdown pump goes to a bulkhead mounted hose connection.

Originally the washdown was connected to this thru hull. I added the dual port baitwell inline. Power for the baitwell pump was added. You can see switch next to last battery switch (bottom).

25 Bait 4.jpeg

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Your wiring reminds me of my angiogram.
I hope your doctor cleaned you up as well as my wiring!

This was still work in progress. The pump wiring in the lower part of the picture has been cleaned up. Because I have so many problems with the Rule baitwell pumps I'm using reusable ty-wraps. I have pumps on board and can change one out in a minute thru the pie plate.

Last edited:

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My 2003 228 has two thru hulls and the live well is on one and the raw water wash down is on the other.

seasick

Reaction score
My 2003 228 has two thru hulls and the live well is on one and the raw water wash down is on the other.
Separate thrus and seacocks are preferable but if the boat doesn't have a raw water system and therefore no thru hull, it is easier to use one of the existing pickups like the livewell for the source of sea water
Here is an example of a pump with a second takeoff

The livewell connects to the pumps motorized output and the lower fitting with the plug) would be piped to a separate raw water pump

Last edited: