Scuba tank racks for 222

pwsscuba

Reaction score
We just got a 2005 222 and I do lots of diving. Wondering if anybody has a suggestions on mounting tank racks on the boat. I am trying to figure out the best way to take 6-8 tanks with out having to lay them all over the deck. Any body out there put tank racks on their 222?

Thanks for the info,

John

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have some pics to take and post for Pete1313 of my cabin filler cushions and when I do that, I'll post some pics of the tank racks I made last year. Basically, I attached a board behind the gunwales on each side so that they hang down below the bolsters. The removable rack is mated to that and holds 2 tanks per. When not diving, it's out of the way and when loaded, the tanks are upright and very secure.

I hope to uncover end of this week or weekend.

alfa1023

Reaction score
Do a search for "Roll Control Scuba" - setup uses an aluminum rail that mounts to the gunnel and then folding scuba holders slide into the rail. Used this on my previous 272 Sailfish and now on my 330 Express. I mount the aluminum tracks to the gunnel using homemade aluminum brackets - mount behind side bolsters - that way when I go to sell the boat, I can remove the racks and the mounting holes are all hidden. The folding tank holders are great - fold down out of the way when not in use.

shadow379

Reaction score
scuba rack

I would be very interested in seeing some picture of how both of you have the racks mounted.

Thanks,

Mike

alfa1023

Reaction score
pwsscuba,

send me a pm with your email address and I will email you pics of the racks as I had them on my 272 Sailfish - the setup on my 330 Express is identical - I just haven't had a chance to get out and take the cover off the boat to get some current pics.

here is a link to a website that shows how the system looks /works.

http://eastcoastplastics.com/rollcontrol.htm

alfa1023

Reaction score
forgot to add - saw the tanks racks that use the suction cups on Ebay a while back - I like the idea, but there is no way to use them along the sides of the boat (on the Grady anyway), which is where I prefer to store the tanks so that the are out of the traffic pattern.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
A little late this year getting ready to splash. Took some time to take these as promised.

One of these for each side.
DSC01834.JPG

Attached to board mounted behind gunwale.
DSC01835.JPG

Up to 4 tanks - Great for me and "She who must be obeyed".
DSC01836.JPG

Keeps tanks safe and secure. Easily removable when not in use.
DSC01837.JPG

pwsscuba

Reaction score
222 tank rack

Jim

Thanks for posting those photos. I like that idea. I am not much of a carpenter but I might could get a friend to help me out. I will have to look under my gunnels and figure out how you mounted that board.

Thank again,

John

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Re: 222 tank rack

pwsscuba said:
I will have to look under my gunnels and figure out how you mounted that board.

John, the board is about 6" wide and is just through bolted to the gunwale with 1/4 " nuts and bolts. I did use large 'fender' washers on each bolt head for support. The bolsters come off easily to access the front of the gunwale. Mine had screws at each drain grommet at the bottom and once they were removed, the pad lifted off. The bottom arc of the rack itself was made so it is even with and does not compress the coaming pad when holding a tank.

You could probably use a similar mounting setup for a commercial rack and make it removable. I like being able to stow it when not in use.

Motie Madness

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
We just got a 2005 222 and I do lots of diving. Wondering if anybody has a suggestions on mounting tank racks on the boat. I am trying to figure out the best way to take 6-8 tanks with out having to lay them all over the deck. Any body out there put tank racks on their 222?

Thanks for the info,

John
Hey John - do you have any photos of how you installed your tank racks?

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Motie Madness

pwscuba aka John is not online from 2010 on so i fuear you will not get any answer from him.

If you tell me exactly what you want to do and on what boat i may can help you,
i owned two scuba operations and had several boats with different systems to store scuba tanks.

Chris

Motie Madness

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
Chris - thank you so much. I am looking for photos of how a scuba tank rack has been attached to a Grady-White boat. I have a 271 that we want to put a tank rack, but an example of another Grady-White boat with scuba racks would be super helpful. Thank you for reaching out. I really appreciate it.

Greg

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I had a BW 23 Outrage and we had in each floor fishbox 3 short, fat 12 liter steel tanks and the six with BCD mounted one on the floor, tanks with BCD mounted will not roll around

I saw the clip style tank holders but disliked them, on the dive panga we had bungie cords to hold them in place and on the Venture 34 i could store 16 US Aluminum tanks in the huge locker center boat, mounted tanks on the floor.

Bungie cords (or the clamps) mounted on the inside of the gunnel should work if you find a way to keep tanks bottom in position, the dive panga had rings made of a sturdy grey plastic tube (probably a high pressure water pipe - a bit wider than the tank. Unfortunately i don't think i have any photos of this system

If you want a stable and safe solution either for center cockpit or two on each side then have welded a tank rack from SS tubes with 4 tubes sticking out on the bottom.
This tubes go in 4 a bit bigger tubes -with the bottom welded close to be watertight- to lock the rack in place but lifting the rack up it comes free and you can store it on land if not needed.
If you are interested in that i can make you a design.

Chris