Shore Power on 2002 Marlin 300

Reaction score
Question on shore power on a 2002 marlin 300 that is new to me. There is no shore power switch on my boat. For the AC power is it just the battery charger that should be switched on and should it always be turned on (batteries are new)? Is it ok to turn the DC on while on shore power to get use of the radio and other electric that is only connected to the DC? I've looked online and in the manual but it is vague on how to use the shore power.

seasick

Reaction score
Question on shore power on a 2002 marlin 300 that is new to me. There is no shore power switch on my boat. For the AC power is it just the battery charger that should be switched on and should it always be turned on (batteries are new)? Is it ok to turn the DC on while on shore power to get use of the radio and other electric that is only connected to the DC? I've looked online and in the manual but it is vague on how to use the shore power.
The charger can be left on 'all the time' as long as it is not a cheap trickle chatger but rather a smart charger that adjusts to battery conditions. If you use a cheap charger, it can over charge you battery and shorten its life.
Using your dc powered devices with the charger operating is fine. Just make sure that the charger output(s) are cabled directly to the battery ( and fused) so that it is always connected even when your battery switches are in the OFF position

Reaction score
The charger can be left on 'all the time' as long as it is not a cheap trickle chatger but rather a smart charger that adjusts to battery conditions. If you use a cheap charger, it can over charge you battery and shorten its life.
Using your dc powered devices with the charger operating is fine. Just make sure that the charger output(s) are cabled directly to the battery ( and fused) so that it is always connected even when your battery switches are in the OFF position
Thank you. This is very helpful.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Adding on... do you actually have Shore Power? Meaning, a 30amp cord plugging into the dock station... along with AC outlets and maybe a microwave? Or do you only have an inlet for the battery charger.

The reason I ask is that you said you have "no shore power switch". If you do have Shore power, then you SHOULD have a switch (technically a breaker) near the inlet.

Reaction score
Adding on... do you actually have Shore Power? Meaning, a 30amp cord plugging into the dock station... along with AC outlets and maybe a microwave? Or do you only have an inlet for the battery charger.

The reason I ask is that you said you have "no shore power switch". If you do have Shore power, then you SHOULD have a switch (technically a breaker) near the inlet.
Thanks. I do have the shore power cord and receptacle but didn't notice the breaker switch but I'll look again by the inlet. There is a shore power light on the panel (but no switch there)

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Look for a galvanic isolator which usually has a switch. Typically located under the gunwale near where the receptacle is located.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you're not seeing a light and/or a gauge showing -20V (depending on what kind of pane you have), then you likely just need to flip the boat's main breaker... or the breaker at the dock pedestal.