Suzuki 200 vs 225

jmoneilthe2

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am refitting my 1992 GW Seafarer 22 with a new motor. The sales guy tried to sell me a Suzuki 225 saying that my current 1992 Yamaha 200 has more horse power than a new Suzuki 200. He did say I would have no problem getting up on plain with a 200, but I'm curious about this horse power thing. Isn't 200 HP 200 HP?
Thanks in advance, John

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Well, yes and no. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not aware of a standardized or, better yet, a reliable test that is standardized between companies.

However, you've got the 2-stroke vs 4-stroke thing and, by nature, 2-strokes rev up faster.

Is one engine a V6 and the other a 4-cylinder? What's your Yamaha?

Reactions: PointedRose

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Oh, and to add a little more info that you can research...

HP is not "actually" measurable. Torque, however, is. HP is calculated based on torque and RPM. So one engine may have more low end torque than another, yet they could still have the same HP. Do a little googling on that for more info if you want to understand this better. Torque is generally considered more important than HP for our type of boating.

Reactions: PointedRose

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You old motor is 2 stroke. New motors are 4 stroke. It won't react the same as your 2 stroke. Different torque curve. Heavier.

Zuke DF225T only comes in mechanical shift. Its their old V6 block. There is a DF250T with same block. Its their low price offering.
The latest DF250AP is a bigger block shared with the 300.

DF200AP is an i4. Its available with Fly by wire. Has plenty of torque and swings a huge prop. You won't have any problem pushing a 22footer.

the V6 is 75lbs heavier than the i4.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Dennis is spot an as usual.
V6 2 stroke outboards typically made better low end power than a 4 cylinder 4 stroke equivalent, but peak horsepower was the same. The v6 225 Suzuki will likely make more low end power than the df200 4 cylinder, but at the trade off of weight. The v6 225 is much heavier and not state of the art like the 4 cylinder. The 4 cylinder Suzukis also have a lower gear ratio to make up for the lesser low end power making it easier to get the hull on plane.
If weight isn't an issue, I'd skip the 3.6 liter Suzuki and go for the 4.0 liter 250. Be aware there is a 3.6 250 also. They are different animals. The 4.0 is a more powerful and efficient engine.
Another option to consider is a Merc 3.4 V6 225. Very powerful, efficient and lighter than a 4 cylinder Suzuki. Prices have come way down on the Mercs from 1 year ago.

Last edited:

jmoneilthe2

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well, yes and no. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not aware of a standardized or, better yet, a reliable test that is standardized between companies.

However, you've got the 2-stroke vs 4-stroke thing and, by nature, 2-strokes rev up faster.

V6

jmoneilthe2

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

The Yamaha is a 2 stroke V6
The Suzuki is 4 stroke 4 cylinder

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Seems like there's an issue with the GW website in that not all of their archived brochures are loading, but I believe the maximum horsepower for your boat is 230 hp? If so, I'd strongly consider the 225 as well, as a 22' Seafarer is a decent sized boat and I'm not sure I'd want to go less than 225 hp on there, especially if you're even moderately loaded down with weight, etc. But also I'd look at Mercury or other options as the Suzuki 225 is going to be over 600 lbs and won't offer fly by wire or digital throttle controls. Mercury makes their 225 FourStroke series that is only 475 lbs, of which it comes with the optional fly by wire controls and is also a v6 as opposed to the Suzuki 200 which is a 4 cylinder.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The archived brochure finally decided to load correctly, of which the maximum horsepower for that year and model of boat is 280 hp. Though, I'd honestly be a bit more concerned about the weight as opposed to the max horsepower at this point, and I'd give GW a call to see what their recommend maximum weight is for your boat. Your current outboard, depending on the model, is going to weigh around 400 lbs or so... of which going the Suzuki route, you could be adding another 200 lbs onto the back of the boat. If I were in your shoes, I think I'd be leaning more towards the Mercury 225-250 at only 475 lbs, but that's just my opinion on the matter.

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I had the DF200 V6 on my 28ft dive panga and sold boat and motor with more than 4000 flawless hours and i consider it as a sturdy, long-lasting and powerful outboard.
Yes the 200/225 V6 is a bit heavier but has considerable more punch than the 200HP i-4 but only mechanical controls.
However, i would take mechanical controls on a single outboard boat, but not on a twin or more outboard boat as the soft digital control makes controlling twins with one hand possible and that can comes handy, but does not matter on a single outboard setup.
Chris

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I had the DF200 V6 on my 28ft dive panga and sold boat and motor with more than 4000 flawless hours and i consider it as a sturdy, long-lasting and powerful outboard.
Yes the 200/225 V6 is a bit heavier but has considerable more punch than the 200HP i-4 but only mechanical controls.
However, i would take mechanical controls on a single outboard boat, but not on a twin or more outboard boat as the soft digital control makes controlling twins with one hand possible and that can comes handy, but does not matter on a single outboard setup.
Chris
I don't think you can get the old v6 200 anymore.

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Maybe in US not, here in Italy it was still available and Suzuki has the 200/22t/250 on their global website
However, the DF 225 suggested by the dealer is the same with a different coded ECU and if the V6 200HP is not available anymore i would take the DF 225.
Chris