Tournament 192 steering cable?

Grady_bob

Reaction score
Hi all....
Just picked up a very nice 1999 Tournament 192- beautiful boat!
All is good (so far) except the Teleflex steering cable had gone bad and the previous owner removed it for replacement- but never actually replaced it. So I need to get a replacement cable, but there's nothing for me to match up for length. I did a search here and believe the correct steering cable length for the Tournament 192 is 17', but I'd like confirmation before I order it. The NFB helm is in good condition so I'm planning on just replacing the cable itself.
Thanks in advance....
Bob

seasick

Reaction score
Call Grady tech support. They will look it up for you

mjhillsr

Reaction score
I replaced my cable on a 1991 19' tournament during the summer. The motor had to be removed to do this, so you may want to check yours to avoid any surprises. I used the no feedback cable which has worked out well. Mine was 17'.
Good Luck.

Grady_bob

Reaction score
mjhillsr said:
I replaced my cable on a 1991 19' tournament during the summer. The motor had to be removed to do this....
Thanks mj
You're exactly right, with the narrow motor well and the offset thru-hull port for the cables to go into the tilt tube- there's just no way to remove the old cable or replace it with a new cable without unbolting the engine. I unbolted and used a come-along to pull the engine as far to the port side of the transom as It would go then pulled the old broken rod out and installed the new cable in the tilt tube- then using the come-along from the starboard side pulled the engine back to the center till the bolts lined up and set her in place. It didn't help that my engine is raised up on the second bolt hole position either.
What should have been an easy 1/2hr job turned into a 3hr endeavor which involved unbolting the 400lb outboard and sliding it around the transom... not fun!