Un-Decking a 25' Sword Fish

QLock

Reaction score
Hello GW Folks,

I have dilemma that requires consol with the GW community.

I have an 1983 25’ Swordfish (A Sailfish with OMC sea drives)
that has been in the family since 1990. We dry store the boat
at the coast and use it ~ 10 - 15 times a year. Last fall we tapped a
piling while entering our slip and cracked the starboard edge of the transom.
We have a found a reputable company that works with just such issues
and specifically on GW.
After an inspection and pulling up the decks, we have found that the hull itself is solid
but the stringers are rotten all the way forward to the Helm.

What started out as a $8k job has risen to a $22k job. (Includes new transom, stringers, fuel tanks,
Hoses etc.) BUT, the boat will be completely un-decked, taken apart, and re-built using 2008 techniques
Making the structural integrity essentially a brand new hull.

Question: Should we go down this road or cut bait and look at a different craft?

Everything is working on the boat fine (Besides some lost compression in the Port engine but that’s another post) but all items not replaced are still 25 yrs old.

Thanks for your feedback and help.

Regards,

Middle Class Grady Lover

JeffN

Reaction score
I have an '83 Kingfish that just last season put new power in. Went from twin Merc. 470 I/O (170 HP 4 cyl.) to a single 496 Mercruiser I/O. Had to rebuild the transom also, I am very happy with my decision. Many said to look newer used and I did but found that most of the boats I found while newer had ten year old motors which would need to be replaced soon. There is merit to the replace the boat argument but I went with what I had. Not looking back. Anyway in your case you will have a new hull but still have the Sea Drives so at some point you are looking at a repower, so that will be more money. The Sea Drives are like my old 470s ie not around anymore so what do you put on there? If I were in your place I would have to factor in the repower along with the hull work. Newer used might be the way to go but....Tough decision and in the end you are the only one that can make that decision.

GWcpa

Reaction score
Nice boat, but economically 22K makes no sense to invest in a refurb. As you point out you still have old power and hardware, and the boat is not worth it.

I'd part it out, sell the hull as is and find a newer boat.

striped bass

Reaction score
In your case newer is better. That is a lot of work. Any chance the hull condition was caused by the accident? Possible legitimate insurance claim.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Unless the boat is perfect for your needs and has a ton of sentimental value, I would not invest that kind of money. The layout and technology on that boat would have to be your absolute top pick, otherwise that is a ton of money to spend on a boat that may have other issues, like the engines you mention. I'd recommend atleast looking on the used market for something you would be interested in buying and see if there is anything you can afford and would rather have before I would invest in redoing your current boat, if you find absolutely nothing that pleases you as much as your current craft then maybe that is best for you. IMHO, I'd take this as a chance to upgrade and put my money towards something newer, assuming that boat is in good shape and will not also require structural upgrades in the near future. Let us know what you end up doing!!

gw204

Reaction score
IMHO there's nothing special enough (other than sentimental value) about an '83 25' Grady to make it worth that expense before you even get into the cost of power. Now if you were working with an old SeaCraft, Mako, Blackfin, etc. you would be getting different advice.

As others have said, I suggest you find a newer boat. If you want to stick with Grady, look for a Sea-V2 hull. If you want a '93 Sailfish, check my sig. I've got one for sale. :)

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You seem to like to this boat, perhaps planning to pass it down to the next generation ?

Economically it doesnt make sense, unless you plan to keep the boat indefinitely, as above. For a DIYer, however, the cost will be minor because it's a major job in labor not materials.
The only added big time cost to come is engine work, and it will cost you big time. So figure it too.

A newer Sailfish is not too much off in price as Brian's 1993, especially if you consider future engine work and you can sell your boat to a DIYer as a project boat and include the sale price towards the newer boat too. You'd be surprised just how much you can get for your boat in its current state. Many DIY guys looking for such project boats.

Take a look at Brian's boat to see what you will be getting as an alternative investment - he has plenty of pictures posted.

I spent months and drove several thousand miles to all points of the compass to find my 92 Sailfish 252G, it was 252G or bust. No other wide beam Gradys interested me.

Found one, had it hauled home to Long Island from Maryland 8 years ago.

Good luck!

QLock

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback as it has been very useful,
esp. in trying to take the emotion out of the process.
Yes, there is a lot of sentimental value to the boat.
It is more money than we budgeted, but there is security in knowing exactly
what is going on in, around and under your boat.
After looking at the used market, most of the comparable crafts would be just a bit out of my price range, BUT Brian has an excellent ’93, and we have begun re-thinking this idea. And no matter what, after knowing what I know now, a marine surveyor would be involved in any selection. (I’m sure most of you know that by now)

As we go through the process, I will let the community know how things are going and if we learn any helpful information, we will pass that on as well.
Thanks again,

QLock.