VHF Anetnna

HalcyonDays

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I snapped the top 6" off my VHF antenna going under a bridge, so I had my local Grady White dealer install a new one. I was thinking they would pull the new antenna wire back to the radio. How they installed the new antenna was to cut the old antenna cable where it comes through the hard top and then they spliced the new wire to the old wire there. Is this the correct way to install a new VHF antenna?

Attachments

• IMG_4288.jpeg
    IMG_4288.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 39

Billv

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Done properly and professionally a VHF antenna can be spliced. I can’t really tell from the picture if this was done well or not.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Done properly and professionally a VHF antenna can be spliced. I can’t really tell from the picture if this was done well or not.
IMO any splice should be under the hardtop or at least weatherproofed. There are antennas available now that "plug in" inside the ferrule making an exposed splice unnecessary

seasick

Reaction score
I snapped the top 6" off my VHF antenna going under a bridge, so I had my local Grady White dealer install a new one. I was thinking they would pull the new antenna wire back to the radio. How they installed the new antenna was to cut the old antenna cable where it comes through the hard top and then they spliced the new wire to the old wire there. Is this the correct way to install a new VHF antenna?
If the splice was mechanical with a special coupler and the assembly is waterproof, it should be OK. If instead they peeled back the center core and braid and soldered the wires to the old wires, I would not accept that approach.

What is that connection covered with?

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
with the poor quality of the picture, we are just guessing here...