Wash down pump :o(

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
My Sure flow pump didn't work when I got the boat a few years ago. I had planned to buy another and replace it over the winter, but then thought I should check the pump 1st before buying another.
I pulled the pump and took it apart. It looked new in and out. I bench tested it and it spun up immediately. I thought that maybe the pressure switch wasn't adjusted correctly. Made some adjustments, put it back in the boat.
Next couple trips out, it worked great. No drama. Needed it today and dead as a door nail. Whacked it with a screwdriver handle on the body and switch - still nothing. I don't get it. My only thought is that the motor has a dead spot in it. I hate to give up on what looks like a nearly new pump, but I would be even more pissed to drop a few hundred $$ on a new pump that I will use 10 times before it takes a dump too. It would be different if the pump was corroded and trashed, but it isn't.
Sorry for the rambling rant, but I'm just curious if others experiences have been better or if you found a fix for a similar issue.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The SurFlow pumps have a microswitch in them that is worth changing. It could be a flat spot (bad winding) but that has not been the case for me.

Here is one:
My pump is buried in the bilge in a salt water environment. When their time is up I just replace it. Housing corroded and I don't like to take it out a second time. Buy the exact replacement so you don't make work for yourself - same mounting, hose locations and sizes.

Reactions: family affair

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
could also be wire and/or connections.

I recently remade connections and replaced wire to my livewell pump and washdown pump.
I found "green" in a wire about a foot back from the connection of one pump and found "green" connections in a molex plug under the dask that eventually feeds the other pump.
Bad connections at switches also...

These were causing intermittent operation of pumps

Reactions: Sardinia306Canyon

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
could also be wire and/or connections.

I recently remade connections and replaced wire to my livewell pump and washdown pump.
I found "green" in a wire about a foot back from the connection of one pump and found "green" connections in a molex plug under the dask that eventually feeds the other pump.
Bad connections at switches also...

These were causing intermittent operation of pumps
I don't suspect it is that because the "Fonzi Fix" (wacking the switch housing) usually got it going again. For good measure, I did wiggle wires to no avail.
Hookup, is that the right switch for a 12v application? I do suspect that could be the issue, but was surprised to see the switch looking like new when I had it apart. Worth a shot at that price.

BigD808

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Recently my washdown switch died, try swapping the switch with a known working one. Also, the breaker could have went bad. I would start there, unless you’re getting 12v to the pump. Got replacement from new wire marine.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I don't suspect it is that because the "Fonzi Fix" (wacking the switch housing) usually got it going again. For good measure, I did wiggle wires to no avail.
Hookup, is that the right switch for a 12v application? I do suspect that could be the issue, but was surprised to see the switch looking like new when I had it apart. Worth a shot at that price.
The switches arc internally and the contacts burn up from the current draw and cycling. That switch was made by Cherry Electronics 50 years ago and the knock offs today are inexpensive. I gave you that part number because I know it works. Last time I bought them it was $10 for 10!

Reactions: family affair

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Recently my washdown switch died, try swapping the switch with a known working one. Also, the breaker could have went bad. I would start there, unless you’re getting 12v to the pump. Got replacement from new wire marine.
I'll check for 12v before I pull it, but I'm leaning towards the switch. The PO would make long offshore trips for a day or 2 at a time. He would never shut engines off while out. It wouldn't surprise me if someone left the washdown pump on while on those trips and it short cycled constantly. That might explain why the pump looks great, but the switch is shot.

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
but I would be even more pissed to drop a few hundred $$ on a new pump that I will use 10 times before it takes a dump too.
I installed a SurFlo washdown pump from Amazon 2020 on my Rib in the bilge area and sold the boat 2024 and pump was still working, not bad for about 50$.
I have the same bust with more flow and pressure (the biggest one) another on my truck i use to water the olive trees using a 250 gallon tank and pump works al day if i water.

Chris