Well... I spent a few bucks today

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As I'm sure most of you are aware, I was having an issue with the older Garmin unit that came on my boat that I bought it back in late September after I tried to install a new map chip and do a software update on it a week ago or so. It was a Garmin Echomap 70s that worked ok but is only a 7" screen that came out I believe back around 2013 and has long since been discontinued. After several days of trying to get my unit to work, I ended up tossing the old unit and just bought a new one today. I bought a Garmin 943xsv that I'll likely put in the electronics compartment behind the steering wheel and then I also bought a Garmin GT56UHD-TM transducer as well. I liked the 9" screen size of the Garmin MFD, that it is touchscreen, has pretty great resolution to the screen, better than average reviews, Traditional/ClearVu/SideVu sonar without needing a black box and the price was pretty fair. I mostly just fish for salmon and will occasionally anchor up for halibut all in typically 200' of water or less here in the Puget Sound and I don't need a transducer that goes anymore than 400'-500' or so deep as I'll never fish those depths in a million years. Saw some videos of the GT56 transducer on YouTube and the clarity looks quite nice, so I'm pretty excited about getting it all wired up and installed on my boat. I went through BOE Marine, and have done so multiple times in the past with electronics, downriggers and so forth. They price match other Garmin retailers, don't charge sales tax and offered free shipping from their warehouse in California... so it should be here within a couple of business days. I found the MFD for $100 less on another site as well as the transducer I also found for less elsewhere, putting the total at just over $1,700... which is more than $200 off what the typical package deal usually sells for elsewhere, before tax is factored in. All in all, I'm excited about the purchase and have always wanted to buy brand new electronics for one of my boats, but never have until now. Next year I might buy a Garmin Fantom radar for the boat, or something similar, depending on if any new products come out between now and then. A shout out to BOE Marine for making everything relatively painless and I'll keep everyone updated with the install, a review, etc!

Last edited: