Now have photos -- Seeking help with how to replace windshield wiper on Freedom 235

Mudflats

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Hi everyone, I'm a relatively new owner of a 2017 Freedom 235. Our windshield wiper doesn't really wipe anything. Windshield smearer would be a better description. I've tried cleaning the windshield, washing it down, etc. I'm wondering if anyone with a similar Grady White can recommend a size/brand/source for a replacement wiper. I see lots of threads about replacing windshield wipers and tips for cleaning the windshield and protecting the wiper when the boat is not in use, but just curious if anyone with a Freedom 235 has a tip specific to our boat. Thanks, I appreciate any help.

seasick

Reaction score
The first thing to try is a new blade after a good cleaning with fresh water and mild soap. You should also check that the current wiper arm is applying the proper pressure to the blade. I don't recommend any windshield protectants like Rain-X. That goes double for plastics like isinglass, Your windshield glass should be rinsed with fresh water after every outing. The blades don't last a long time in hot sunny climates.

Mudflats

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
The first thing to try is a new blade after a good cleaning with fresh water and mild soap. You should also check that the current wiper arm is applying the proper pressure to the blade. I don't recommend any windshield protectants like Rain-X. That goes double for plastics like isinglass, Your windshield glass should be rinsed with fresh water after every outing. The blades don't last a long time in hot sunny climates.
Thank you for the reply. And thank you for the advice about protectants -- I was wondering about that. Is there a particular source for windshield wipers that you prefer? I'll also try to figure out how to ensure the proper pressure is being applied. Thanks again.

seasick

Reaction score
I used to but ANCO but recently ( during and right after Covid issues) I have had a hard time finding ANCO wipers in stock. I haven't checked lately though. If you boat is salt or brackish waters, you want stainless steel wipers. Many of the SS wipers with what is called a saddle mount (uses a bolt and nut to hold blade to arm) are truck parts. If you have a truck parts retailer near you, that is a good place to get the correct part. Marinco makes SS blades at least for the hook mounts type/ I don't know if they make saddle mount types. West Marine carries some of the Marinco Delux SS models.
As to pressure, the edge of the rubber should lay on your glass for its whole length. Sometimes the wiper arm has to be adjusted to get good contact and sometimes, the blade just won't contact its whole edge on all areas of the windshield, especially for very curved glass.

Mudflats

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I'm in brackish water, so the stainless steel reminder is very helpful. I'm going to be out at the boat tomorrow so I will be able to measure the length of the blade and see what sort of attachment it has. Thank you for this information -- I had seen other posts about "truck parts" and wasn't quite sure what that meant. I'm on the Eastern Shore of Maryland near Easton -- I see we have NAPA and also a Tranteck Truck Center ... hopefully those would sell wiper blades like what you're describing. I'll try to figure out the difference between hook mount and saddle mount. Sorry, I'm one of the least handy people on the planet. When we bought the boat, I told my wife that I won't be any good at tinkering with the boat. But some of these basic maintenance issues I need to figure out!

seasick

Reaction score
The saddle mount is easy to identify. It uses a small bolt and nut to attach the blade to the arm. the other types of mounts look like the type on your auto.
Note that there are narrow saddle and wide saddle versions. The best bet is to take the blade to the store. to compare. NAPA is a good place to try.

Mudflats

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Hi everyone, please see the attached photos. I tried to remove this windshield wiper and couldn't figure out how to do it. I went to a NAPA auto parts store, but they didn't have any wipers remotely similar to this. Then I went to West Marine and bought the wiper you will see a photo of. Will this replacement work? How do I pull off the old wiper? Is this original wiper that I have a standard Grady White or is it unique to my Freedom 235? I will also do the washing of the windshield, etc, after I go out in the boat. But at some point (maybe now) I will need to replace this wiper and I have no idea how to do it. Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• IMG_7065.jpeg
    IMG_7065.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7063.jpeg
    IMG_7063.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7062.jpeg
    IMG_7062.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7064.jpeg
    IMG_7064.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7072.jpeg
    IMG_7072.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7073.jpeg
    IMG_7073.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13

markb8608

Reaction score
1999 gradywhite tournament. same problem. the clips dont want to come off too easy. The blade is wider than normally see on autos