Wise Coaming Bolster Pad - GW - 228

sturgstev

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
One of the bolsters has worn out after twenty years in the elements.

The dimensions are 72" x 6" x2.25"

Saw there are three holes drilled under the foam and two phillips screws at the base.

Searched the internet and could only find - 48"x 6.75" x 2.25" - as the longest under Wise.

I know some on here have used SEADEK flooring etc on their boats.

They have a standard coaming pad at 39" x 4 " for about $ 100. Saw on their website - www.seadek.com that they will do custom work - may be easier to get 2 @ 36"s each.

Advise appreciated

thanks everyone.

steve

49pan

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sail rite has a video on how to do it yourself.looked pretty easy . Their pattern runs lengthways. Mine are quite long and that’s what I’m planning on. Check it out . Quite informative

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
One of the bolsters has worn out after twenty years in the elements.

The dimensions are 72" x 6" x2.25"

Saw there are three holes drilled under the foam and two phillips screws at the base.

Searched the internet and could only find - 48"x 6.75" x 2.25" - as the longest under Wise.

I know some on here have used SEADEK flooring etc on their boats.

They have a standard coaming pad at 39" x 4 " for about $ 100. Saw on their website - www.seadek.com that they will do custom work - may be easier to get 2 @ 36"s each.

Advise appreciated

thanks everyone.

steve
The vinyl has worn out or the backing? I had A&J replace my vinyl a couple of years ago and it turned out just like factory.

20210721_190436.jpg20210721_185523.jpg

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I used www.https://www.affordableboatcushions.com out of Florida and they did a good job and are reasonable.

seasick

Reaction score
I did mine many years back. It wasn't easy for a few reasons, mainly because my bolsters wrapped around the transom lockers/seats ( in other words, they were L shaped). Straight sections would be easier.
If the backing boards are in good shape, that is a big plus. To an extent the same is true for the foam but I would expect your foam to be pretty moldy.
If you want to do a pro class job, you need an industrial walking foot sewing machine with the appropriate accessories for the welting . Many folks kip the welting.
The factory bolsters also have a narrow strip of mesh fabric along the bottom edge to allow water and moisture to drain.
If you do your own, note that you will need a good electric or pneumatic stapler as well as a lot more staples than you would imagine. Your staples should be Monel, not stainless which will can rust and corrode over time.

sturgstev

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Group.

Thanks everyone for their responses.

looked at sail rite and affordable cushions.

This am I removed the bolster and had no issues and then washed and cleaned the boat area.

I think doing anything except for a Seadek will be a chalange for me. Will explore a professional to do this.

I think I could just leave this as is except to calk up the ten smail holds if I just leave as it is.

As Gilda said - "its always comething" especially with a boat.

thanks

steve