WTB: Grady 226 Seafarer

Reaction score
Serious buyer looking for a clean 2000-2017 226 Seafarer with hardtop and trailer. If you are thinking of selling at the end of summer, DM me details. On west coast but will travel for the right, clean, well maintained boat. Will be selling a 2000 180 when the right 226 surfaces.

luckydude

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Might consider a 228 as well. I'm pretty sure I know why you want a 226, no swim platform to push you around in a following sea. I have a 228, I fish out of mainly Santa Cruz, CA but up and down the coast as well. Yeah, the swim platform can surprise you a bit, and I can imagine conditions (short period, steep swells) where it could make you stuff the bow, but I don't go out in those. And if I got caught in those and it really was that bad, I'd zigzag home.

You said you are west coast, if you are near me, I'm happy to take you out and let you see for yourself. I love my 228, partially because of the swim platform, because I get a closed transom. No fear of waves coming in the back.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
For clarification purposes... the OP's profile says Seattle on it, of which as others have mentioned I've got a 228 Seafarer that I also love. Though, mine is up at my beach cabin on Whidbey Island so it's a little bit of a trek along with a ferry boat ride to get there but I'd also be up for offering a ride if you're serious about a 228. I do also believe that there are a few GG members that are actually in Seattle that own 228 Seafarer's as well. I love that the 228 Seafarer has the fully enclosed transom with the transom bracket making it feel like a much safer, bigger boat that I feel more comfortable with being out on my mooring buoy for months on end. On top of that, I have a younger niece as well as parents in their 70's, so the thought of a motor well style of transom didn't sit too well with me. I think either the 226/228 Seafarer would be a great option for you, of which some people love their 226's and seem as though they looked specifically for them as opposed to a 228 Seafarer. If you've currently got a 180 Sportsman, you might also consider a 208 Adventure as well. I've bought all three of my boats back on the east coast while living out here in the Seattle area. My last one being the 2004 GW 228 Seafarer in my signature, which was in October of 2021 out in Maryland. I flew out, bought the boat, rented a U-Haul truck and drove the 3,009 miles back to north of Seattle where I live. The dealership was Tri State Marine, of which they are a GW dealership, and they were asking $28k for the boat. I offered them $26.5k and they said deal. Comparatively, Jacobsen's Marine here in Edmonds just sold recently I believe it was a 2006 or a 2008 with radar and a kicker motor on it for $65k.

Pescadote

Reaction score
Check out my 228 is the classifieds below; it's a few years older in a 1996, but I've done a ton of work to it to update it. Custom pilot house, repowered three years ago, tons of maintenance items including new transom, through hulls, batteries, switch panel, etc. Comes with 12" Garmin and radar. It's turnkey and ready to fish.

No too far away - my boat is in Newport, Oregon. Come down and I will give you a ride and even through in a fishing trip!

jay77

Reaction score
Serious buyer looking for a clean 2000-2017 226 Seafarer with hardtop and trailer. If you are thinking of selling at the end of summer, DM me details. On west coast but will travel for the right, clean, well maintained boat. Will be selling a 2000 180 when the right 226 surfaces.

Pm sent

Reaction score
Love the 228 too and would certainly consider the right choice one. They are also significantly more expensive and both models have their pros and cons. I have a 180 now so notched transom of 208, 226 isn’t so much an issue for me. I know 228 deck is huge in comparison to 226. Any Grady model can handle heavier seas than my body can, and not using offshore. I also us the boat by myself frequently. Use is Puget Sound, San Juan and Gulf islands and some inside passage.

luckydude

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Love the 228 too and would certainly consider the right choice one. They are also significantly more expensive and both models have their pros and cons. I have a 180 now so notched transom of 208, 226 isn’t so much an issue for me. I know 228 deck is huge in comparison to 226. Any Grady model can handle heavier seas than my body can, and not using offshore. I also us the boat by myself frequently. Use is Puget Sound, San Juan and Gulf islands and some inside passage.
Yeah, the swim platform means you don't have the engine sticking in and I had never thought about the deck space, but yeah, the engine and splash well, yep, gonna eat up some deck space. And you lose the livewell, I guess they use one of the fishboxes for that but that is not ideal because they extend under the seats and I'd find it hard to fish bait out of there.

Whatever, they are both good boats, you'll make it work. Good luck with the search.