Yam Water Pump Help - Mechanics / D.I.Y.'ers, Please

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Put a new impeller and all the associated hardware in my OX-66 225 last weekend. Went out today to check it out, and found out how to spell stupid real fast. I put the mouse ears on the intake, fired her up, and no water from the tell-tale. I did check the upper motor flusher, and water flew out of the tell-tale then, so I know the tell-tale is not clogged.

Also, the prop doesn't go into reverse. In fact I don't hear that light clunk that you should hear when shifting from forward to reverse and back.

I'm guessing I missed fitting the water intake tube into the water pump housing. But what about the gears? Any tips? Any linkage going down to the lower unit from up top? The lower unit came out easily, and I don't think anything broke. It ran fine a month ago during the trials. Thanks to all comers.
EJF

ausandy

Reaction score
hot, there`s a small spined shaft in front of the driveshaft that has a female hollow shaft coming down from the motor. make sure motor controls and gearbox is in neutral . align both shafts and raise the gearbox
put one blt in and try shifting gears. andy

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks, Andy.

Must need about 6 hands to hold the lower unit, turn two shafts, and push it up in. Will try it.
Jake

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hopefully you pulled the unit when it was in neutral, otherwise things may get difficult. One guy can do it but 2 makes it easier, once the driveshaft splines line up all you should have to do is give it a wiggle and it should go in. Once it's up get 1 bolt in to hold it then you can take your time.

tiderunner

Reaction score
Jake,

Just left message on your phone call me back if you want.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tilt the engine up to about a 45 degree angle. A LOT easier to install the foot.

gw204

Reaction score
When I change the water pumps in my 225 OX66s, I pay close attention to a few specific things:

1. Put the engine in neutral before dropping the L/U. I did just read that if you put in it forward you can spin the prop/prop shaft to line up the splines on the drive shaft during reassembly. That probably easier than twisting the L/U like I'm used to doing.
2. Note the direction of water pump/drive shaft rotation. I put an arrow on the water pump housing to indicate this so when everything gets reassembled, I can make sure the impeller vanes bend the right way.
3. Don't grease the top of the driveshaft, only the sides where the splines are. I've heard grease on the top can create a vacuum making in nearly impossible to drop the L/U.
4. Tilt the engine up and support it with the tilt lever.

Doing all that makes disassembly and reassembly and easy one man job.

My guess is you got the impeller in with the vanes pointing the wrong way and the shift shafts didn't line up.

Barlow46

Reaction score
I have read from other yamaha mechanics that it doesn't matter which way you install the impeller. It will reseat in the correct direction once the engine is started.

gw204

Reaction score
Barlow46 said:
I have read from other yamaha mechanics that it doesn't matter which way you install the impeller. It will reseat in the correct direction once the engine is started.

I've heard that too.

However, I always put a very slight amount of wheel bearing grease on the pump housing insert (to make it easier to get the impeller in there) and I found (on my old Merc 150) that if you do this, there isn't enough friction to make the impeller vanes flop over if you get in in backwards. I had to drop the L/U again and straighten it out before it would pump any water.

jehines3

Reaction score
Just a little eco tip, Try KY it is water based and safe for the environement. Not that a smear of bearing grease will go far. I also use a little smear when I reinsert hoses to keep them from get inevitably stuck. It has worked well and is compatible with all systems including freshwater. jh

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
Grog said:
Hopefully you pulled the unit when it was in neutral, otherwise things may get difficult. One guy can do it but 2 makes it easier, once the driveshaft splines line up all you should have to do is give it a wiggle and it should go in. Once it's up get 1 bolt in to hold it then you can take your time.

nope aways in gear
just easier to index the crank to drive shaft

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
Barlow46 said:

they are right
but i use soap just incase!

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
jehines3 said:
Just a little eco tip, Try KY it is water based and safe for the environement. Not that a smear of bearing grease will go far. I also use a little smear when I reinsert hoses to keep them from get inevitably stuck. It has worked well and is compatible with all systems including freshwater. jh

soap is better
grease is bad on rubber products

if i had KY in my tool box. the other techs would think im nutz! :lol:

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
JUST-IN-TIME said:
soap is better
grease is bad on rubber products

if i had KY in my tool box. the other techs would think im nutz! :lol:

Or be scared.