Yamaha 100 hour service

Dantheman

Reaction score
The 06 gulfstream w/ twin yamaha 150's that I bought one month ago had 71 hours on the twins. The boat had the winter service last year and then it was placed for sale this spring. I am assuming that the oil was changed, etc. when the boat was serviced for the new season/sale. I already put 30 hours on it and the display is telling me the 100 hour service is due. Is this something that needs to get done immediately, or can i wait for the end of the season to do it? Also, what is the usual cost to perform this service ? Thanks for the advice.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We have almost 600 hours on our twin F150s since November 2005. All services have been performed exactly as specified.

I would not be comfortable "assuming" that anything had been done, and would proceed as if nothing had been done until someone put a full report/receipt in my hand from the dealer.

At a minimum I would change the lower unit fluid, change the oil and filters, check the plugs, and replace both the external 10-micron fuel water seperators (which should be installed).

As to "usual cost", it varies considerably from location to location, but I usually budget $5/hr per engine and it usually doesn't cost that much. But mine also includes hauling in/out, as we keep her in a slip.

Brian

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yeah, I would go ahead and have the service done for the season. The winterizing was probably just to fog the cylinders and flush it.

Seems to me a dealer charges about $200 to do it, although a handy DIY'er can easily do the fluid and filter changes.

If the boat is moored in the water that does make it more of a challenge. Sounds like they get hauled to do the lower unit. Are you running in salt or fresh water? On a trailer or in a slip?

Let us know if you intend to do your own work or source your own parts, we can help you with that as well.

Mine has about 150 hours on it, did the service late last season and was very easy to do. At 75 hours the motor oil looks like the day I put it in. But you want to get the props off once a year to check for fishing line, to grease the hub and splines, and to change the gear oil to make sure it's not water contaminated. Those big remote fuel filters are also really important.

The book recommends a valve-lash check, however most techs will tell you every 4-500 hours is sufficient. They're shim-bucket types so it's not really a DIY check, and they'll generally go a thousand hours before they actually require adjustment.

gregsnow

Reaction score
Website
www.NauticalHeadquarters.com
I have a similar question on my Yam225.

I winterized my boat last year then summerized this Spring with approx 15 hrs on it. I know have around 30 hrs on her so my question is did the summerization take care of the 20 hr service or should it go back in allready? Hope someone can help.

Gs

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That's right, there's a 20 hour service for these motors when they're new. To keep your warranty you do want to make sure you have that done.

What exactly was done for the 'summerize? Seems to me the 20 hour service is an oil change, but I'd actually have to go back and look at the work order for mine.

You could sure call or email Andy at SIM, he'd be happy to help you:
andyjr@shipyardisland.com or parts@shipyardisland.com
Shipyard Island Marina - 1-800-213-3323

I've bought product from him and corresponded back and forth on props, even tested one out. He's friendly, helpful, knowledgable, one of those guys in the biz that's of real value to know.

gregsnow

Reaction score
Website
www.NauticalHeadquarters.com
CJBROWN said:
That's right, there's a 20 hour service for these motors when they're new. To keep your warranty you do want to make sure you have that done.

What exactly was done for the 'summerize? Seems to me the 20 hour service is an oil change, but I'd actually have to go back and look at the work order for mine.

You could sure call or email Andy at SIM, he'd be happy to help you:
andyjr@shipyardisland.com or parts@shipyardisland.com
Shipyard Island Marina - 1-800-213-3323

I've bought product from him and corresponded back and forth on props, even tested one out. He's friendly, helpful, knowledgable, one of those guys in the biz that's of real value to know.

I will have to check my invoice for exactly what is covered under summerization. I was just wondering if the winterization and summerization by my Yamaha dealer at 15 hrs would take place of the 20 hr service. Maybe I need to ask my service technician when I go to the lake this weekend.