Yamaha 200 Saltwater Series Squeaking Sound

MW98

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hey there everyone, my brother and I picked up a 1998 208 Adventure late last season powered by a carbureted Yamaha 200 Saltwater Series with 140 hours. Last year it ran perfectly, after our second trip out we noticed a squeaking sound that has us concerned. It only occurs when the engine is warmed up after running at higher speeds but only in the 800-1800RPM ranges. It doesn't happen when the engine is still cold. As far as we can tell it sounds like it is coming from the port side of the engine but we aren't certain and cant pinpoint anything specifically. Has anyone else run into anything similar? Heres a video of what it sounds like:

TMANN

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Could be a bearing starting to go out. Does it still squeak in gear?
Also, you may be able can use a stethoscope or dowel rod to help pinpoint the noise.

Feels Reel

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
After listening a few times it sounds like a vibration squel. How’s sound with the cowl off?

MW98

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Could be a bearing starting to go out. Does it still squeak in gear?
Also, you may be able can use a stethoscope or dowel rod to help pinpoint the noise.
Yeah it does, its weird though because it only does it after you've been running for awhile
After listening a few times it sounds like a vibration squel. How’s sound with the cowl off?
Same sound but louder lol
I had two of the mechanics at the marina listen to the clip and neither of them had heard anything like it. After I took it for a quick spin and it only made the sound briefly twice, once with a mechanic present but he couldn't pinpoint it either and said the only thing that makes sense is the driveshaft bushing. He said it doesn't sound like anything too serious but either way my brother and I are gonna pull the boat this weekend and lube up the driveshaft and see how it goes. The engine only has 140 hours on it so I'm really hoping it has nothing to do with the crankshaft bearings.

Feels Reel

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Yeah it does, its weird though because it only does it after you've been running for awhile

Same sound but louder lol
I had two of the mechanics at the marina listen to the clip and neither of them had heard anything like it. After I took it for a quick spin and it only made the sound briefly twice, once with a mechanic present but he couldn't pinpoint it either and said the only thing that makes sense is the driveshaft bushing. He said it doesn't sound like anything too serious but either way my brother and I are gonna pull the boat this weekend and lube up the driveshaft and see how it goes. The engine only has 140 hours on it so I'm really hoping it has nothing to do with the crankshaft bearings.
I would definitely go though and check everything. Nuts,bolts anything the could have come loose. Check cowl and bottom shroud. Even the propeller and fluid levels. I’m the same way any abnormal sound I can’t rest till I find it. Sometimes it’s something simple. Hope that’s your case. Better safe then broke down out on the water. Good luck though

MW98

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Figured I’d update this for anyone with the same issue, I changed out the lower driveshaft bushing and greased up the driveshaft good before putting the lower back on and it seems like the squeaking sound has gone away!

Reactions: Feels Reel

TMANN

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Figured I’d update this for anyone with the same issue, I changed out the lower driveshaft bushing and greased up the driveshaft good before putting the lower back on and it seems like the squeaking sound has gone away!
Good deal!