1988 20ft Overnighter 204-C Fuel Tank specs

BlueComet

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
From some research on GG an other sites, it looks like my Grady's OEM was a 65 gal tank.

Unfortunately, my boat came with a 52 gal Moeller 32552 (FT5299) poly tank that I can get barely 25 gal into before gas starts coming up out the vent during filling.
I suspect it has to do with the fill/vent configuration, and my tank never has a chance to fill up beyond the first baffle before coming out the vent (path of least resistance).
My tank's fill port and vent port are both in the aft section, a photo can be found here: https://palmerpower.com/moeller-32552-52-gal-below-deck/

Here's a photo from last time I had this hatch opened up. The elbow was necessary due to the port being so close to the bulkhead, it's not ideal but fuel safe (from racing parts store). I'm trying to get back to a more "stock" configuration without all the "hackery."
52118F63-5E4B-4200-96D7-96DA890E815B_1_105_c.jpeg

For any 80's Overnighter owners out there, can someone please help answer the following questions for me, so I can get a baseline of what's "normal" in design?
1. Where does the vent come out? Mine's on the transom stern-face, just above the swim platform/ladder on port transom
2. Where is the fuel fill? Mine's near the vent, on top of transom, on port side above the swim platform
3. Can anyone supply a drawing for the 65 gal original tank? I've found them for the 80" long variant (larger capacity), I'm okay dropping in the 63" 65gal and reducing scope of this project.

I'd rather stick with a stock poly tank for ease, any recommendations on a stock moeller that works in this particular boat? If so, please let me know where fill and vent come out on yours also.

I'm in Boston area, if someone knows where to get a good used (not junk) metal tank I'd be amenable to that too.

Thanks in advance for the assist, we're just starting up boating season in NE, although it's still hat and gloves weather on the water from what one of my club-mates told me yesterday.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Start with going to GW site and find your owners manual. Older boats and smaller ones (you have both) are combined into one manual. See what you can find out from there.

Also call GW customer service. They are quite helpful. Get your questions in order first before calling.

When you are filling the tank how "level" is it? If the bow is high it will make it harder to get the fuel in. There is no vent on the forward end.

Last I would call Muller with the model number of the tank. Discuss the baffle" theory" with them. I'm not sure about that one.

Can you live with a 52 gallon tank? You could switch to another tank and still have this fill problem.

Is this a single engine? I see two small hoses. Is one pickup and one the vent? Are you sure the vent is not a pickup? Snake the vent hose.

Not much you can do with the fill hose. May not be the problem anyway.