1994 Explorer repower

Doctorsrh

Reaction score
My Yamaha 300 HPDI blew up and can't be fixed without a new powerhead. The engine is out of warrenty and Yamaha won't help me out with this engine. Yamaha may be making me a good deal on a new 250 4 stroke. Before I bought the 300, I was told that the 4 stroke was too heavy for my boat. Has anyone put a 250 4 stroke on a 1994 24 ft Explorer? My other choices are a new E-tec, or a used 2 stroke or rebuild the 300, again. I don't want to put a new engine on the boat, as I plan on keeping the boat for another year or two, only. But if Yamaha is gonna make a real good deal on the 4 stroke, it might be my best option. Help! Thanks!

ReelRowdy

Reaction score
I have a notched transom 244 model and repowered it a few years ago with a 300 Suzuki. I consulted with Grady customer service before pulling the trigger, they said weight would not an issue since the boat was designed for twin 150s, their only advice was make sure the transom is solid before doing it since it was not designed for all of that torque in one spot. I had the transom surveyed and it checked out good. I wouldnt hesitate to put a 4 stroke on it, mine has been great.

gw204

Reaction score
If you are only going to hold on to it for another year or two, I would look for a used 250 OX66.

Doctorsrh

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Jordan. Grady White emailed me that I should simulate the weight of a 4 stroke to see where my scuppers would be. That's a little hard to do when the boat isn't in the water. Had 600lbs of engines on the back of the boat (250 and 9.9 kicker) when I bought the boat, so a 600lb 4 stroke should be ok. The fact that you have a good experience with the 4 stroke gives me confidence that I would be ok.

I wish my mechanic could find a good, used 250 for me. They are not easy to find.

I am waiting for Yamaha to call me back. I understand they will not give me a new powerhead (unless I pay for it). My mechanic said Yamaha is going to make me a "good deal" on a new 4 stroke, but that's not what I want. For an engine to become unrepairable after only 350 hours is unacceptable. I boat in NJ, 2 weekends/month for 5 months. I was unable to get 350 hours on the engine while under the 5 yr warranty program. I told Yamaha that I felt their warranty program is flawed for the northern, limited season, boater. If I was in a warmer, year-round, climate, I surely would have had the engine fail while under the 5 year warranty. Oh well, I suppose I knew what I was buying when I purchased the 300hpdi. I only wished Yamaha would own up to this flawed engine design for me.

artodea

Reaction score
Don't repower with new if you're not going to keep the boat for a long time. You will never recoup even a portion of the expense, even with a "good deal" from Yamaha.

I just pulled the trigger on a repower (with plans to keep my boat forever). My perfectly running but carbureted 250 will be going on craigslist this spring for something like $2500 - look for something like that to buy some time (or PM me if you're interested).

- Art

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Artodea,
You need to share performance numbers on that g2!

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Owned a 1992 Grady 242G for years, came with a 92 Yamaha 225 and we re-powered with a 2000 SX 250. About eight years later the new owner re-powered with a 2008 Yamaha F250. When he re-powered the dealer suggested a new bracket as the Grady Drive was not in great shape and was holding water.

The new bracket was about twenty-five percent smaller than the original (single) bracket. As a result the transom sits a little lower, the scuppers are at the waterline with no passengers, and I feel the boat feels tends to squat when underway. I did not notice if you have a bracket or not, but IF you decide to re-power with a four stroke and have a bracket, make sure the bracket can handle the additional weight.

Doctorsrh

Reaction score
Scott, the boat has a notched transom. But I am afraid of the extra weight and water entering the scuppers. I've pretty much ruled out repowering with a 4 stroke. I'm still hoping Yamaha comes through for me.

Art, thanks for the offer. I am hoping Yamaha does something for me, but if/when that doesn't happen, I hope to find a good, used 2 stroke closer to NJ to hang on the boat. If all else fails, I will be in touch via PM. I usually put the boat in the water in April or early May, and I would like to keep that same schedule this season.

ReelRowdy

Reaction score
Mine is right at the bottom of the scuppers full of fuel with the batteries in the back, I have thought about moving them to the cabin, but it really has not bothered me. If you put 2 guys over 200 pounds in the back fishing, you can see some water in the cockpit drains, but not the rear well.

Attachments

• Transom1.jpg
    Transom1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 3,178

Doctorsrh

Reaction score
Thanks Jordan.

My boat looks just like yours. Right now, with the 2 stroke, none of the scuppers are underwater. I see your starboard scupper is completely underwater. I'm guessing the port scupper is, as well. I always assumed that is not desirable.
Anyway, Yamaha will be calling me on Friday to discuss my engine. After that talk, I'll know more about my options. I'm still going to look for a used 2 stroke if Yamaha fails to provide me an answer to my problem.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Reel,
What kind of performance numbers are you seeing with the Zuke?

1998sailfish

Reaction score
artodea said:
Will do. I'm pretty pumped.
Installation scheduled for mid-May. Stay tuned.

Congrats !!!! You will be very pleased with power and performance :dance :dance

ReelRowdy

Reaction score
I cant speak for the cockpit scupper, the water line has not changed since I repowered from the original 2 stroke. From my math, the single 300 is still lighter than twin 150s. As for performance I usually average 2.4-2.6 mpg depending on seas of course. With a real light load, I can get 2.8, but when its rough and the tabs are all the way down, the worst I have seen is 2.2, that is cruising at 30 mph turning 41-4200 rpm. Take into account that I have flaking off crappy bottom paint as well. I intend to remove it, but I cant find anyone that says Im going to pick up .25 mpg by doing so.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I don't mean to hijack the OP' s thread, but the fuel burn question on the G2 and the Zuke on a Grady hull this size is of great interest to me. To be honest I'm surprised the Suzuki doesn't do better. I'm anxious to see what the G2 numbers look like.
Our trusty, slightly crusty OX66 currently nets 2.7 mpg with a light load and 2.5-2.6 with a moderate load. No bottom paint. I know the Zuke will be way more efficient everywhere else, but not enough to justify a new or newer engine. We're throwing on a 4-blade this season too with the intention of getting stearn lift. I know some on the forum are confident that another blade will hurt economy, but the reputable seller is confident it will net a measurable improvement. We will know in another month or 2!
Sorry to the OP for taking the tread off course! :sorry

Doctorsrh

Reaction score
No love from Yamaha for my 300 HPDI. They want me to buy a new powerhead, plugs, gaskets, water pump, fuel injectors, and all fuel filters inside the engine and out, and they will give me a whopping $1K off. So, for $9K I would have a new 300 HPDI ticking time bomb. No thanks, Yamaha.

Art check your PM.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
If you end up going with the used 2-Stroke I can say I was shocked how easy it was to rig on my old Offshore. I took the old carb Yamaha off and put on an OX66. Everything lined right up easy. I ran the new harness and gauges just because the new motor came with them. It was my first time taking on a project like that and I had it complete in a night plus a few hours the next day.

Doctorsrh

Reaction score
Thanks to all. My mechanic will be getting a used 250 hp and rebuilding it to new for me. He is an incredible mechanic and I have 100% faith in his abilities. So, I'm excited that I will have a trustworthy engine on my boat for the first time in 7 seasons. I can't wait until the boat is in and the fishing begins!!