Need Fuel Valve help

Sea Shift

Reaction score
I have a 265 Express with duplicate fuel systems throughout. Meaning it has two tanks, dual independent pickups, filters and tank select valves. Last season I replaced the all fuel lines and the selector valves. My question is does anyone know if I can get the same 3 way valve that came with the 265 express? The problem i just discovered is that the Moeller 3 way valves i bought do not select the tanks when switched 180 degrees like the originals. It selects the tanks on a 90 degree turn. There are two problems with this, one the tip of the handle doesnt actually point at where the fuel is coming from. Which I guess I could get over but really?! and the second is where the original one was mounted, I cannot turn the handle to the back position (as shown in the photo) because it will hit the bulkhead. From this picture you can see the flow path is "O" to "O" any other choice of the four positions and no fuel flow.

71tsyg2qwDL.jpgUntitled.jpg

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Excuse the dirt. They have since been cleaned up. My original GW fuel valves.

First question is why are you changing them? Second is what do your old ones look like (photo please)?

They look like they are out of the boat. What you are saying about 90 degrees makes no sense. Maybe the handle is indexed on the shaft in the wrong place. Would try blowing air or a pipe cleaner in all four 90 degree positions to check flow.

I will say that they are different from mine in that they feed horizontal instead of vertical like mine.

A call to GW Customer Service would be in order.

Fuel Valves.jpeg

Last edited:

Sea Shift

Reaction score
Mine are exactly like yours. The photo was taken from google for a demo but the problem is the same. My old ones worked just as yours. But the new ones are not like the older version. On the old valve 9 O'clock was the Aux tank and 3 O'clock was the starboard tank. Both 12 and 6 O' clock were off. On the new one the 9 O' clock is port but 6 O'clock is Starboard! and if you try and place the handle to 12 it hits the bulkhead. 12 O' clock and 3 O' clock are off. Does that make sense?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
No it doesn't make sense. The old style doesn't seem to be available. You may be able to put 90 degree connectors on it and make it work. I'll bet handle can be removed and re-indexed to make it work.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have a 265 Express with duplicate fuel systems throughout. Meaning it has two tanks, dual independent pickups, filters and tank select valves. Last season I replaced the all fuel lines and the selector valves. My question is does anyone know if I can get the same 3 way valve that came with the 265 express? The problem i just discovered is that the Moeller 3 way valves i bought do not select the tanks when switched 180 degrees like the originals. It selects the tanks on a 90 degree turn. There are two problems with this, one the tip of the handle doesnt actually point at where the fuel is coming from. Which I guess I could get over but really?! and the second is where the original one was mounted, I cannot turn the handle to the back position (as shown in the photo) because it will hit the bulkhead. From this picture you can see the flow path is "O" to "O" any other choice of the four positions and no fuel flow.

View attachment 33707View attachment 33708
I have a 265 also. I also bought mueller replacement to find out it will not work. They way it opens ports is different. In order to make it work you would have to mount differently and it would not make any sense with the pointer. I returned the valves and am still running the old ones. I would like to change them BEFORE they are a problem.

Sea Shift

Reaction score
No it doesn't make sense. The old style doesn't seem to be available. You may be able to put 90 degree connectors on it and make it work. I'll bet handle can be removed and re-indexed to make it work.
Yeah it sucks. Guess Im gonna have to just do some other modification. It sucks I cant keep it the same. I checked the links on the other thread and like i said, it appears Moeller changed designs. Ill keep searching for a logical alternative.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a 265 also. I also bought mueller replacement to find out it will not work. They way it opens ports is different. In order to make it work you would have to mount differently and it would not make any sense with the pointer. I returned the valves and am still running the old ones. I would like to change them BEFORE they are a problem.
Like you I'm running the old ones. SeaShift didn't say why he can't use the old ones.

I didn't look but is it possible to open them up? Maybe it's just an o-ring rebuild.

seasick

Reaction score
dumb question; Is the handle reversible?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The problem with the ones I got was they had ports out the front not down. Turning the handle did not open/close ports the same way as the OEM (it has ports pointing down).
There was now way to use the new one without mounting it so that it could spin 360Deg. And the "pointer" would never indicate properly.

I sat with that thing trying to figure it out like a Rubiks cube. I was not going to make a project out of remounting and routing fuel lines.

I just went on the link from southernstyle and ordered two of those. The ports point down so I hope they are correct. Seems Southern style had no problem.

Sea Shift

Reaction score
Rubiks cub is a great analogy! I checked the link that Southern Style had and they are out of stock. Im thinking they no longer make them. For now I might just use the new ones dismounted. They do work just not set up like the originals and the pointer direction is confusing.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Same thing happened with me. I bought a replacement one as well, and as with everyone else, it wouldn't work properly.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I ordered 2 from Wholesale Marine last night. They have 1 left now. Go2 marine has them. Has to be th one with center pointing down

Sea Shift

Reaction score
I ordered 2 from Wholesale Marine last night. They have 1 left now. Go2 marine has them. Has to be th one with center pointing down
Let us know when you get them if they are the same as you OEM ones. Lets hope so!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Has anyone looked at repairing the old valve? May be a o-ring replacement job.

Interesting note: I ordered o-rings from McMaster-Carr for deck plates. Took several orders to get them sized right. I paid return shipping back. McMaster credited the product and shipping of the original orders back to me.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
Make sure that if you replace any orings you need fuel resistant type like Nitrile for example