Raccoons chewed thru the shrink wrap!

FatBoatsRule

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hello everyone!
I am new to this forum. And am open to any all suggestions.
We have an ‘02 Gulfstream. We live in Suffolk county Long Island NY.
Over the winter the the raccoons chewed thru the shrink wrap and had a grand old time. If you look at the pic you can see the rubber armrests were completely destroyed on both helm chairs. In addition the “couch” across the stern, was also destroyed, along with various other cushions. They ALSO managed to wriggle thru the gunwale where the steering cables attach to the dash. The top bunk has teeth marks. We were able to “de poop” and “de pee” shampooing the carpets on the inside of the cabin and bleached the hell out of the fiberglass. Also we need new canvas, windshield, and side curtains.
If anyone can recommend a QUALITY upholsterer, and Canvas local to us, it would be most appreciated. Thanks for your help!
BonnieBF93A0E7-D3FD-43D8-919D-178D43EF36CE.jpeg

seasick

Reaction score
That's a shame. It happens a lot.
Some folks use moth balls. Raccoons don't like them but you boat may smell after use. I had a friend who leave a a radio playing all winter and swears he never had a problem.
I recommend that you don't leave any upholstery on the boat during storage and that includes seat cushions. Coons and squirrels love that foam. There are commercially available repellents but I can't say how effective they are.
Oh, never leave any food or even old uses snack bags. I also found that squirrels like the smell of the order eliminators that you put in the head:)

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I feel your pain!!!
I lost 3 digital drive cables and replaced many wires and 2 plastic trim tab lines to squirrels in 2 years. I tried many suggestions and the only thing that helped me was to trap them and dispatch them to where ever. Now I have traps on the boat and in the yard at my boat. No problems in about a year. Hope those are your only problems. It ruins the looks of a great boat. My boat is 1998 gulfstream 232 G and there are many openings for critters. Did have a raccoon one time no damage. Just poop and pee in the anchor locker.

FatBoatsRule

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Oh no!!! We have yet to look in the anchor locker yet!! Fingers crossed there are no GIFTS! :rolleyes:
I was kinda surprised they chewed the rubber arm rests?? There is NOTHING yummy looking about them, and they're not soft for bedding Maybe babies teething? I think we will end up moving the boat, we winter it between a big old tree and the barn. Looking back it was easy access. Even though it has been wintered over there for 11yrs without a problem.

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
That sucks Fat. I am in Suffolk on the east end and just had the glass in my canvas replaced on my Gulfstream by these guys. Did a nice job at a reasonable cost. They do upholstery as well but cant vouch for the quality for that.

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
My boat was not attacked by squirrels for 8 years after I moved here. All it takes is 1 critter 1 time and you have a problem. After my repair expenses I decided I would take no more chances and be pro active with traps, P B and peanuts are cheaper than repairs.

FatBoatsRule

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hi Everyone!
Well my “Raccoon disaster” had a happy ending! After much research, and help from the boating community, (thank you) I decided to go with Perino’s canvas. They did an absolutely AMAZING JOB! Tom was helpful every step of the way. I have owned 4 boats. I have made the rookie mistake of going for price vs quality. Having all of the stitching on the zippers blow out, and the snaps corrode, I learned my lesson (the hard way if course).
I cannot say enough good things @ Perino’s Canvas. They were able to use the old frame, AND make it 4” taller. Tom came with a book of 1000 colors to choose from, as well as samples of the different grades of clear plastic for the wind screen. They did a FANTASTIC JOB! The canvas is beautifully DOUBLE STITCHED. The windscreen and side curtains are as clear as the glass windshield. The Upholstery (all of which was chewed to bits) Came out PERFECT! They even managed to make the curve on the “couch” look like it came from the showroom. All of the other cushions are just as nice. All of this was done for the quoted price, no sneaky “we have run into a problem “cha ching”. His crew of helpers were SO NICE, and professional.
I HIGHLY recommend Perino’s canvas for all of your canvas and upholstery need!
We did not reupholster the helm seats! Those are original. Next year! By PERINO’s!
0D8593AC-20FB-47D6-9546-F1BDEAC09983.jpeg448B2670-51C9-403C-8E56-DA2018E80F6A.jpegAC049C97-C86A-4D9C-A6D8-B7C1F95E3C09.jpegDEE2EF1D-D338-4A3C-A0E2-F77154399F9C.jpegEEB37BD2-8BC3-4C89-962C-FE2D477DAF4B.jpeg

Fishtales

Reaction score
That sucks, but the end result looks very good. Better come up with a plan for next year.

FatBoatsRule

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I’m thinking a RACCOON COAT?? Raccoon luggage? Lol (kidding, I still think they are adorable, my husb not so much) We may park it in the middle of the horse pen. There are no trees, and I/we go in q day to make sure everything is good for the horse.
The other option is in the middle of the driveway, which will be a complete pain in the ass.
As always I am open to suggestions!
Thanks! Fat

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Results are fantastic and definitely a name to keep in mind should I need them in the future as I am also in Suffolk.