Tide Slide

Doctorsrh

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with tide slide? I'm having a new dock put in and someone suggested installing tide slides instead of my current lines to hold my boat.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Does the dock go up and down with the tide? If so lines are fine. If the dock is stationary and does not float with the tide, then yeah, lines would not be ideal since you would need slack in the lines for low tide and at high tide the boat would be all over the place with loose lines. Various ways to deal with that scenario

Doctorsrh

Reaction score
The dock is stationary. I've only used lines for my boats, and never had any issues with tidal changes, but was curious of others experiences with tide slide.

seasick

Reaction score
In addition to the normal tidal swing, you may have larger swings due to wind, storm runoff and the like. I have a boat in an area where the normal swing is less than a foot but after heavy rains and with winds, the tide can swing 3 feet or so.
If you have a fixed dock and reasonable tidal swings, I prefer mooring poles over slides for the following reasons; You need to design your slide length for the worst case scenario.
Depending on your waters, slides can get gummed up with growth. Your dock can be shaky depending on design. If your waters are subject to freezing, the slides can ice up and the tides can cause the dock to twist ( assuming you leave your dock in the water).
Mooring whips are forgiving when sized correctly and can protect your hull from dock rash during active water times.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
All the docks in Costa Rica have a kind of Tide Slide, but tides are very hight there and they are very sturdy rings sliding up and down the pillars.
I watched the TideSlide website and the system looks interesting, but not sure if that is needed at OP's location as tides there are unknown. However, it's not always only tides, strong wind or storm surges can push a lot of water in inland waterways, just a few weeks several marinas where completely destroyed by storm surges.

If I would live in a area where something like high tides or storm surges can happen I would consider the TideSlide, but first have a good look at it to verify how sturdy it is and if there are no risk that one slide jam and render it useless.

Chris

Fishtales

Reaction score
If you decide to get them, ensure proper installation. You don't want any potential to lock up.

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Anyone have experience with tide slide? I'm having a new dock put in and someone suggested installing tide slides instead of my current lines to hold my boat.
I live and have my boat in Sea Isle City, NJ, just south of you. We have depending on the Moon about a four foot tide difference in the back bay tide. We have sliders and rings attached to the outside pilings and cleats on the docks that go up and down with the tide. If you can’t tie all four corners off onto something that goes up and down with the tide I would suggest putting the sliders and rings up.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
A little confused by your question. You say you have a stationary dock. Tideslides that I have seen are for floating docks.
https://www.tideslide.com

If you are asking if floating docks are better then...yes There are other attachment methods(piling hoops) but generally yes, floating docks, with some sturdy pilings, are preferable. Especially in your location in Barnegat Bay. There are considerations for the size of your lagoon and the space you are allowed to use. You need the water under the floating dock to float the dock at the most extreme low tide.

Doctorsrh

Reaction score
Tide slides were recommended as an alternative to the way I've done it my entire boating life. I appreciate the responses and I will use lines and not get the slides. I think they would be good in some situations, but not for me.