1997 208 Adventure

fullphase

Reaction score
Hey all,
New to the forum, as I am looking at purchasing a 1997 208 Adventure. I am new to Grady's and just wondering if I can get some help on pricing/power from some experienced members.

The boat has a hardtop, is fairly clean....by know way emaculate; comes with ok electronics, a 2006 8hp high thrust yamaha (electric start/trim) and a 2006 225hp Honda. I am a bit leary of the 225hp Honda mainly because I am more familiar with Yamaha. Can anyone comment on this setup? I am most concerned with the Honda. Is it too heavy for this boat.....how will the gas milage be......is the 225hp from this era reliable or were there major problems.
the asking price is $29000. (Canadien Dollars).

Any thoughts/advice?

thanks.
Mike

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey fullphase;

I am not really knowledgeable on this setup, but I can help a little. a 208 owner would be best to comment here.

The 225 Honda is on the verge of being too heavy for the rig, especially when you add the weight of the 8 HP kicker. Obviously the boat has been re-powered, so Grady may not have given the install the A-OK in terms of stern weight.

Before you purchase, call Grady and ask them for their thoughts. I would also view the boat in the water, noticing how low she sits aft. Are the scuppers submerged? If they are a little, it doesn't matter. (I have a 232 Gulfstream and mine are somewhat submerged..they still drain fine.)
Then, during your test drive, see if she porpoises underway from too much stern weight. Do you have to compensate with tabs and engine trim to get her to stop oscillating? This is a bad sign. If she runs level with no assistance from tabs & trim, it's probably fine. (Remember, I'm talking about fore and aft porpoising; I am not referring to using the tabs to level her from side-to-side to compensate for weight or quartering winds.)

This combo will put you in the upper 40's to maybe low 50's top end. You'll likely get near or above 3 MPG at cruise. Honda makes reliable stuff. if the outboard has had reasonable care, it should be OK given all the other variables listed above. I am a Yamaha guy myself, but Honda's are OK.

I am not familiar with Canadian currency and how that translates to US dollars, therefore, I'll not comment on the price.

Luck to you..The 208 is a classic rig. Lots of folks have them and love them.

fullphase

Reaction score
Great.....thanks for taking the time to reply. I sent an email to GW with my inquiry and am hoping some of the 208 owners on hear may post some comments also......good or bad!

Mike

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
full phase, I would get the weights of the 225 yamaha and the Honda and compare. I believe the Yam 225 is the same block as the 6 cyl. 200 Yam or close and there are lots of 208 out there with that combo. Yes see what the Grady Co. has to say. Personally I do not think it is as issue. My 2 bits.Cheers and good luck, trapper

fullphase

Reaction score
Response from GW

'The weight of these two motors may cause the boat to low in the stern causing the transom scuppers to be submerged. If submerged be aware that the flow of water when evaluating from the aft cockpit can be slowed. Also, in some sea conditions it may be possible for water to back through the drains causing some pooling around the cockpit drains. A visual inspection of the boats float line while sitting in the water will confirm whether or not this may occur. If the scuppers are just partially submerged there may not be an issue. You may also have a couple of people stand in the rear of the boat while checking the float line to simulate passengers a typical boating trip.'

fullphase

Reaction score
any idea what this set up would burn an hour at a steady cruising speed. I realize there are so many variables, thinking medium load.

Firenailer

Reaction score
That's a question that will get a lot of different answers! It depends on what your "medium" load is. With fuel, water, people and gear on board your going to be pushing a boat weighing 4000-4500 lbs. maybe more with that Honda.

With a 200 hp 4 stroke Yamaha the best fuel efficiency is at 3800 rpm cruising at 25-27 mph and using 6.5 -7 GPH, returning a little over 4mpg. Wide open I'm using 18-19 GPH. I don't run wide open very often or very long!

GPH is obviously very variable and depends on many things. You can find a chart on the Grady Website.

My Sister bought a 20' Grady Bowrider ( Model 209? maybe )around 2005 down on the Chesapeake Bay in Virginia that came with a Honda. Perhaps tracking down a Dealer in that area would give you more info about what to expect. Here in the North East I've never seen them delivered with anything other than Yamaha's.

I'm not sure how it translates to Canadien dollars but as a comparison there is a 2002 listed here with trailer and pretty optioned for 22,5 with the Yamaha engine. You might want to check that guys boat out on the classifieds. ( I don't know him, I'm just throwing it out there).

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Call Taylor Marine Center in Milford DE and ask for Dirk....they have been GW and Honda dealers for years....they can give you an idea of how the setup would work....

302-422-9177

fullphase

Reaction score
Thanks Panthery.....I spoke with Dirk today, great guy.....gave lots of good advice......making the decision that much more hard. And the journey into finding a 208 adventure, really tuff.....

fullphase

Reaction score
He seemed to think it was too much weight for the transom.....figured with a couple of guys in the back of the boat we would be standing in a couple inches of water due to the scuppers being submerged. I will take it for a sea trial and assess how low it sits and how much water is in the back.

Mike

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
fullphase;

As I mentioned in my post above, not only assess the waterline/scupper issue, but pay particular attention to any porpoising of the boat while on plane at cruise. Stern weight will cause it and you'd have to always correct it with tabs/trim.
Also, as you come off plane, watch and see if the wake washes over the top of the Honda while slowing down. If it does and you buy the boat, remember to give it a little throttle as you drop speed to keep the engine ports free of water intrusion. Stern heavy rigs are succeptable to this.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A 208 is a great boat and the Honda 225 is a great engine. Dicker with the guy over the price and if he meets your number, go for it. You will not regret it. If it sits a little low in the back, so what. The water will drain as soon as you get on plane.
Actually, the 225 Honda weighs a little less that the V6 F225 Yamaha. I realize that the boat was not designed for heavy 4 strokes.
I see commercial crabbers and fishermen with Hondas here all the time. They beat the heck out of them and they are still out there. Our Coast Guard station just got a new rigid....twin 250 Hondas.

fullphase

Reaction score
Thanks Dave......I was kinda having the same attidue. I did ask GW if there is any stuctural problem and they said no......the boat can handle it no problem......the odd time if there is a bit of water in boat when i have a couple of my bigger buddies fishing with me I can handle it. 2 hours until trial.....I will report as to what I see!

ric2352

Reaction score
Might check to see if the guy has ballast in the forward hold to even it out. Looked at a 208 with the wrong engine for the hull (which is the case here). They had 200 to 300 lbs. of sandbags up there. That's like taking one big guy or two little guys with you every time you run! He said it rode great.

fullphase

Reaction score
hey there.....sea trial went well. only seen a slight bit of water come in the back scupper just the once when I sat down on the one side with the kicker. I am sure with a full load there would be more for sure. When accelerating I thought the boat would come out of the hole a bit quicker....maybe a prop thing or a just not being used to the weight of the Grady.