Wild blue

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish

232Grady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hi all. Really appreciate the updates and time people are putting into their responses and I certainly respect the passion some people have for this. With regards to the boat the owner selling it stated in his ad that the transom had been rebuilt. He was asking $70k for the boat although I doubt he got many offers. Anyway long story short I offered him $60K based on everything he said and sent him a deposit based on good faith. Once the survey was completed of course it became obvious that the transom had indeed not been rebuilt as he advertised which in turn started this process. Now the owner refuses to refund the deposit which has opened up a new can of worms but at least I am not out $60k and a rotten transom. Here is a copy of the ad when we made the deal. It is located in Cape Coral Fla. Now the seller has relisted the boat but has removed the rebuilt transom part but the fact that he refuses to repay the deposit says all you need to know about this guy.

Twin 2018 Suzuki 225HP (300 hours on each) Cruise speed 30 mph at 18 GPH Garmin GPS 840 XS, Garmin GPS map XS Garmin radar B&G VHF with Hailer, Lewmar windlass helm controlled and remote 22lb Delta Anchor / 15’ chain 600’ anchor rode. Isinglass front and side windows, Fishing out riggers, Live Well, Fridge, sink, head, cuddy cabin 2018 - 2019 Rebuilt transom and 2 NEW 2018 - 225HP - Suzuki Outboards New fuel tanks and fuel lines (138 gal and 51 gal) 2020 Crewsaver Mariner Life raft, New U-Flex heavy-duty steering with tilt wheel All thru hulls re-bedded Epoxy paint on bottom, new rub rail, new helm, and passenger seats 2021 $7000 in up grades Simrad Autopilot, New plumbing for the live well LED lighting interior (4 colors), LED Underwater lights (4 colors) LED navigation lighting, LED light bar, Helm Cover Fusion Radio & 6 Speakers / SKAR Audio Amplifier RP-75.4 AB 500 watt Rhodan 36 volt - 84" trolling motor / 3 - 12-volt Dakota lithium-ion batteries with fast charger New Interior bow cushions, drink holders, pole holders, Aft sunshade, 1500-watt 36-volt Inverter. New port start battery, Stern anchor and rode, new dash rocker switches as needed, dual footrest for skipper 2011 Tandem axle Tarpon Trailer 10,500LB 2021 new bearings, spare tire, and wheel.View attachment 33041

seasick

Reaction score
How did you pay for the deposit? Did you have any signed documents concerning the deposit or the terms of the sale?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Barbender, Check out this listing. Not a ton of information but you might be able to find a deal here.‍♂️
$17k for a 1999 Grady White 272 Sailfish with twin outboards and a trailer that runs in the PNW? That's either a scam, as that boat in that condition is worth at least double that, if not more.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi all. Really appreciate the updates and time people are putting into their responses and I certainly respect the passion some people have for this. With regards to the boat the owner selling it stated in his ad that the transom had been rebuilt. He was asking $70k for the boat although I doubt he got many offers. Anyway long story short I offered him $60K based on everything he said and sent him a deposit based on good faith. Once the survey was completed of course it became obvious that the transom had indeed not been rebuilt as he advertised which in turn started this process. Now the owner refuses to refund the deposit which has opened up a new can of worms but at least I am not out $60k and a rotten transom. Here is a copy of the ad when we made the deal. It is located in Cape Coral Fla. Now the seller has relisted the boat but has removed the rebuilt transom part but the fact that he refuses to repay the deposit says all you need to know about this guy.

Twin 2018 Suzuki 225HP (300 hours on each) Cruise speed 30 mph at 18 GPH Garmin GPS 840 XS, Garmin GPS map XS Garmin radar B&G VHF with Hailer, Lewmar windlass helm controlled and remote 22lb Delta Anchor / 15’ chain 600’ anchor rode. Isinglass front and side windows, Fishing out riggers, Live Well, Fridge, sink, head, cuddy cabin 2018 - 2019 Rebuilt transom and 2 NEW 2018 - 225HP - Suzuki Outboards New fuel tanks and fuel lines (138 gal and 51 gal) 2020 Crewsaver Mariner Life raft, New U-Flex heavy-duty steering with tilt wheel All thru hulls re-bedded Epoxy paint on bottom, new rub rail, new helm, and passenger seats 2021 $7000 in up grades Simrad Autopilot, New plumbing for the live well LED lighting interior (4 colors), LED Underwater lights (4 colors) LED navigation lighting, LED light bar, Helm Cover Fusion Radio & 6 Speakers / SKAR Audio Amplifier RP-75.4 AB 500 watt Rhodan 36 volt - 84" trolling motor / 3 - 12-volt Dakota lithium-ion batteries with fast charger New Interior bow cushions, drink holders, pole holders, Aft sunshade, 1500-watt 36-volt Inverter. New port start battery, Stern anchor and rode, new dash rocker switches as needed, dual footrest for skipper 2011 Tandem axle Tarpon Trailer 10,500LB 2021 new bearings, spare tire, and wheel.View attachment 33041
That's unfortunate. I'd try to take it to small claims court and get your money back if possible. Or, if the transaction was done digitally through Venmo, PayPal a credit card or something similar, I'd obviously try and dispute the charges. I would also shop around on the east coast but I avoid Florida boats because they can, and oftentimes do, have damage from hurricanes, being submerged, sun damage and so forth. $70k US is also quite overpriced in my opinion for the boat you're looking at, especially being a boat out of Florida. There are multiple early to mid 2000's GW 282 Sailfish boats for sale in the low $60k's on up to the high $70k's on Boat Trader currently. I'd look at those instead.

Fishtales

Reaction score
There are just so many boats out there. Why waste your time and money today looking at suspect (can I say that?) old boats from a manufacturer that is known for structural weaknesses that manifest themselves over time.
If you are looking to get into boating on the cheap, you may do it on the front end but it will likely cost you a lot more money and more importantly time in the long run. This doesn't even take into account the frustration and input from wife, children and others when you go out on that super nice day and end up dealing with issues all the time. The latter has ruined boating for many people out there.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sorry to see the update. Hopefully there is some recourse for you.

232Grady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
The manufacturer has very little to do with the condition of a used boat. It's all about previous owners!!!! I've seen some really nice Bayliner, VW, Jeep, Gremlin, etc. As the man said, have them send a video. If it's a crummy video or they refuse, you know what was important and they have no pride.

Jim

Fishtales

Reaction score
I beg to differ. Poor design, low quality build and latent defects due to workmanship and materials rest with the manufacturer. Sure, the customer has a role to play too, but usually those issues can be detected quite easily when inspecting the boat. The manufacturer defects can lie beneath the surface and tough to detect.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I beg to differ. Poor design, low quality build and latent defects due to workmanship and materials rest with the manufacturer. Sure, the customer has a role to play too, but usually those issues can be detected quite easily when inspecting the boat. The manufacturer defects can lie beneath the surface and tough to detect.
I agree 100%. There are some things that Grady should be ashamed of.

Reactions: Barbender

SecondWind282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There are just so many boats out there. Why waste your time and money today looking at suspect (can I say that?) old boats from a manufacturer that is known for structural weaknesses that manifest themselves over time.
If you are looking to get into boating on the cheap, you may do it on the front end but it will likely cost you a lot more money and more importantly time in the long run. This doesn't even take into account the frustration and input from wife, children and others when you go out on that super nice day and end up dealing with issues all the time. The latter has ruined boating for many people out there.
^^^ This EXACTLY!! Instead of spending $60k on a 1999 model up that budget to $80-90 and get a truly turnkey 2006,7,8 model that's been maintained and has good electronics and probably repowered F250's or 300's

Barbender

Reaction score
^^^ This EXACTLY!! Instead of spending $60k on a 1999 model up that budget to $80-90 and get a truly turnkey 2006,7,8 model that's been maintained and has good electronics and probably repowered F250's or 300's
While I certainly would love to jump up to that price range the Canadian dollar is only worth about $0.63 per US dollar. I totally understand what you are saying and it makes sense but I am limited with the amount I have to work with. There is a boat in Riviera Beach that is showing some promise. Just nervous about the dealership and how legit they are.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Barbender, Just a heads up. Be wary of any boat of that age which has bottom paint. I’ve owned four Grady’s and many whalers, makos, and Parker’s. The bottom line here of is if bottom paint is present , then boat was probably kept in the water and has had time to marinate. And it’s not good for longevity of transoms or fuel tanks. Trailer kept is best. Bow up with drain plug out is required. Sorry to hear about that Grady. I saw it online. I’m in broward and was looking at sailfishes and that price was high for south Florida. Look for one that doesn’t have bottom paint and hasn’t frozen up.

Reactions: Barbender

Fishtales

Reaction score
IDK if you can say that. Any boat that has been in the saltwater >1mo is going to have bottom paint. If your looking for 23 footer or less, a trailered boat should be in better condition but I've seen plenty that people leave out uncovered in their yards sometimes under trees and the boats get pretty beat up. The Sailfish beam is 9'6" if I remember, a foot over the limit. While some trailer boats this wide many more are not. You can be limiting youself quite a bit if you only look at trailered 28' boats.