Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
love the boat float! I wish I had that!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Great looking fish you got there. I caught a 34" silver over the summer, which was by far the biggest silver I'd ever caught and even one of the biggest salmon I'd ever caught before.

Jumbo Silver 3.jpegJumbo Silver 2.jpegJumbo Silver.jpeg

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Like that aft cockpit floor!

canvasback

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
that cockpit floor does look great i don't see cut outs for the hatch's is it not glued down ?

Wild blue

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Having fun
Hi there, I’m a new owner and was looking at your photos, your cooler/cutting board caught my eye, what is your setup for keeping the cooler in place while on the move, love this concept

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Hi there, I’m a new owner and was looking at your photos, your cooler/cutting board caught my eye, what is your setup for keeping the cooler in place while on the move, love this concept
if you zoom in, it looks like there is a rachet strap around the cooler

Wild blue

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
if you zoom in, it looks like there is a rachet strap around the cooler
I did see that, I was suspecting that it is a cooler sitting on a couple foam blocks with a strap but wasn't sure if it was a kit etc. just thought I see if he would share etc.

OceanSun

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Great looking fish you got there. I caught a 34" silver over the summer, which was by far the biggest silver I'd ever caught and even one of the biggest salmon I'd ever caught before.

View attachment 31819View attachment 31820View attachment 31821
Lookie, Lookie it's a Nookie (i.e. Chinook - both of them). No use crying over grilled salmon but just be careful with your fish ID's in the future or you may quickly become friends with an over-zealous game warden ;)

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lookie, Lookie it's a Nookie (i.e. Chinook - both of them). No use crying over grilled salmon but just be careful with your fish ID's in the future or you may quickly become friends with an over-zealous game warden ;)
How so? Different tails... the king up on top has spots all the way from top to bottom. The silver on the bottom however, has zero. ;)

Last edited:

Wild blue

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish

How so? Different tails... the king up on top has spots all the way from top to bottom. The silver on the bottom however, has zero. ;)
A very black mouth and heavy spots on the back, deeper green color, a silver will have white gums and a black tongue and be much brighter side by side

keep in mind the spots don’t always show up heavy on the tail so you have to use the mouth.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A very black mouth and heavy spots on the back, deeper green color, a silver will have white gums and a black tongue and be much brighter side by side

keep in mind the spots don’t always show up heavy on the tail so you have to use the mouth.
A few things here... I think the two pictures of me holding the fish are a bit on the deceptive side as they were taken when it was overcast outside as well as in the shade between homes, making the mouth look a little darker than I think it really is. That being said, if you zoom in and look at the picture of the mouth of both fish while on the cutting board on the deck, you'll see the silver, or bottom fish, has a much lighter colored mouth than the king has. Lastly, silvers can have some spots on the upper back as well, which this one has, but kings are usually covered a bit more in spot on the upper back and a king will have a tail covered in spots. Comparatively, the bottom fish has no spots on the tail that I can see. Of which, I've honestly never seen the tail of a king that wasn't covered in spots, which is evidenced by the picture I attached from Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife website to identify different salmon species.

Silver vs king.jpegsalmon mouths.PNGSilver mouth.PNG

Last edited:

Wild blue

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good luck and tight lines, see you out there!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
lol... alrighty then. Just having a relatively friendly conversation here, though if one had spent a few minutes searching on Google before replying, they'd see what I'm referring to. Also, it's always quite lovely when someone tells you that you're wrong on something you've been doing for over 30 years. But I guess that's a story for another day. Good luck as well...

OceanSun

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Stang - you've been ID'ing them wrong for 30 years then - but that's not the point. I can tell it's a chinook from just a glance without even looking at the gumline. A few giveaways are the greenish color to the back (silvers are nicknamed Bluebacks in BC), the shape of the spots on it's back, the spacial relationship of the corner of the mouth to it's eye, overall shape of the fish's body and head, and then there's the gumline. As both of your reference docs pointed out for positive ID, Silvers have a very distict, pronounced white (light gray) gumline whereas a chinook does not. Your fish does not. Point isn't that you're wrong it's to educate you for your own good with the gamies and also for the resource itself. Happy to meet up this summer if you'd like to see how I set up my new-to-me Gulfstream and bonk some salmon (of the appropriate identity), slay some halibut, and/or pull some crab pots. I live in Snohomish and launch out of Everett, Neah Bay, or Ilwaco.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Stang - you've been ID'ing them wrong for 30 years then - but that's not the point. I can tell it's a chinook from just a glance without even looking at the gumline. A few giveaways are the greenish color to the back (silvers are nicknamed Bluebacks in BC), the shape of the spots on it's back, the spacial relationship of the corner of the mouth to it's eye, overall shape of the fish's body and head, and then there's the gumline. As both of your reference docs pointed out for positive ID, Silvers have a very distict, pronounced white (light gray) gumline whereas a chinook does not. Your fish does not. Point isn't that you're wrong it's to educate you for your own good with the gamies and also for the resource itself. Happy to meet up this summer if you'd like to see how I set up my new-to-me Gulfstream and bonk some salmon (of the appropriate identity), slay some halibut, and/or pull some crab pots. I live in Snohomish and launch out of Everett, Neah Bay, or Ilwaco.
Interesting how you mention everything else, but you don’t mention the tail. The fact is, just like is illustrated in the pictures as well as everywhere on Google, that a king will have spots all throughout the tail. Both on the top and bottom half of the tail, as well as on both sides of it. If it’s a king, as you suggest, then why doesn’t it have any spots on the tail and look like the king pictured above it? Also as mentioned before, kings don’t have spots on the tail sometimes and then other times they don’t. They always do, every single time. Every king I’ve caught, that’s the easiest way to tell when they’re in the water, and the same for when they’re in the boat. Lastly, as mentioned before as well as in the pictures, silvers can also have some spots on their back.

Last edited:

Mr.crab

Reaction score
Sorry haven't been for awhile , I have a cleat in the back then a strap to hold it. The blocks are to give me the correct height for filleting, also routed grooves with two drains on either side that I connect flex pipe to drain overboard.its not perfect but works well, but I did move the fuel valves and and Perko switches with the hatch door, so I don't have to take down the ice chest to get to things.