2003 Yamaha shift issue

wbdenamur

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with a Yamaha 2003 f225 having a hard time shifting into forward or reverse. Cables are new. It seems like the shift slide is loose and I can’t see how to tighten it. Any help is appreciated.

seasick

Reaction score
he first step in diagnosing the problem is to disconnect the shift cable clevis and manually try turning the shift rod level to see if the lower unit has issues. Note that it may be difficult normally to shift if the drive shaft is not turning so to check without putting your life on the line, try moving the shift level while manually turning the prop. If that proves difficult, you have a lower unit issue.

wbdenamur

Reaction score
he first step in diagnosing the problem is to disconnect the shift cable clevis and manually try turning the shift rod level to see if the lower unit has issues. Note that it may be difficult normally to shift if the drive shaft is not turning so to check without putting your life on the line, try moving the shift level while manually turning the prop. If that proves difficult, you have a lower unit issue.
Done that. I have twin motors and the other one shifts fine and the slide stays still. It binds and twist on the bad one. It has a bolt coming up from the bottom that I can’t see how to get to.