2006 282 Sailfish generator?

Grady282owner

Reaction score
Anyone have one installed also where and how much to do. I am a new 282 owner.

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Alternative to installing a generator.

I also have a 282 and I use a Honda 2000 portable suit case generator. It stores easily and when running it, I kept it outside of the transom door.You could also put it on the port side away from the door if you like.(very quiet) Runs everything on the boat. I don't have A/C but I'm told it will run that too. I store the Honda on top of the fish box while running the boat I just tie a line from the generator to the seat post. If it's in your way while fishing you can store it in the cabin where the table would be. There's a switch on the gas cap that closes while traveling to prevent spillage. I had mine there while fishing. I bought an adaptor to go from 15 amps gen. side to 30 amps boat side then just use a 6' 15 amp extension cord. I bought the generator a few years ago to run my slide in truck camper. Come to think of it, It ran the A/C just fine. It's probably 1,000.00 now. I think I payed 800.00 back in 2004. I also have a cover that I bought with it. It fits perfect and would keep any salt spray off while underway. You have to take cover off to run it. I've also seen photos of boats with same generator strapped to hardtop for night fishing. To run lights and battery charger I guess?

I think it's very safe and it's not prone to salt air except for the time it's on the boat. One less thing to have to maintain and winterize. Not sure of where you are and how often you will use it but for me, I will only need it 2 or 3 weekends a year at most. That way it's stored safely in my garage.

One more note, It's totally enclosed in a plastic case with hefty rubber feet so it won't scratch up your deck or gunnels.

Grady282owner

Reaction score
Re: Alternative to installing a generator.

Bob Coco said:
I also have a 282 and I use a Honda 2000 portable suit case generator. It stores easily and when running it, I kept it outside of the transom door.You could also put it on the port side away from the door if you like.(very quiet) Runs everything on the boat. I don't have A/C but I'm told it will run that too. I store the Honda on top of the fish box while running the boat I just tie a line from the generator to the seat post. If it's in your way while fishing you can store it in the cabin where the table would be. There's a switch on the gas cap that closes while traveling to prevent spillage. I had mine there while fishing. I bought an adaptor to go from 15 amps gen. side to 30 amps boat side then just use a 6' 15 amp extension cord. I bought the generator a few years ago to run my slide in truck camper. Come to think of it, It ran the A/C just fine. It's probably 1,000.00 now. I think I payed 800.00 back in 2004. I also have a cover that I bought with it. It fits perfect and would keep any salt spray off while underway. You have to take cover off to run it. I've also seen photos of boats with same generator strapped to hardtop for night fishing. To run lights and battery charger I guess?

I think it's very safe and it's not prone to salt air except for the time it's on the boat. One less thing to have to maintain and winterize. Not sure of where you are and how often you will use it but for me, I will only need it 2 or 3 weekends a year at most. That way it's stored safely in my garage.

One more note, It's totally enclosed in a plastic case with hefty rubber feet so it won't scratch up your deck or gunnels.

Thanks Bob I appreciate it!!

Alibi II

Reaction score
Generator on a 282

I researched having a Panda gen set installed on my 282 and saw a custom installatioin that I liked very much. The gen set was installed where the fishbox is located on the starboard side. The problem was the cost. It was $20,000 for the gen set and custom instal. This was way out of our price range. I also use a portable Honda 2000. This handles all our needs and that included the 6500 btu reverse cycle air conditioner that we installed. I also made up a pigtail to go to my shorepower port. I place the generator on top of the sink located at the aft port corner of our 2004. I use two heavy duty bungees to hold it while running. the exhaust is high and not into the cockpit. They have a great cover and I havenb't had any spill problem while underway or during use.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have posted previously about using our Honda EU2000i to power up our Islander, including the 6,500-BTU A/C unit.

Just used the Honda to power up the kitchen refrigerator, the garage freezer and a few lights/electronics while without power during the recent northeaster.

Great little unit.

You should look at the Duration Tank. http://www.wisesales.com/DurationTanks.html

Brian

ahill

Reaction score
There are many links to the Honda 200 on this site. I've posted several times re my 272. Search "Honda 2000" "ahill"

HMBJack

Reaction score
I too use the Honda EU 2000 generator and love the thing.
However, I recommend you be VERY respectful of the oderless carbon monoxide that any gas engine gives off - especially when someone naps or sleeps on board. It's good to think of your boat as a "bucket" and the heavier than air and oderless carbon monoxide will sink to the lowest part of the "bucket" which is often the interior of your cabin.

I place my generator outside of the "bucket" off the transom. This way, the exhaust flows downwind and onto the water and not inside my boat in any way. Just some safety thoughts to consider...

OffDuty

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
CO specific gravity.

Just a slight tangent on this subject. Take from it what you will and be safe. :)

"Proper placement of a carbon monoxide detector is important. If you are installing only one carbon monoxide detector, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recommends it be located near the sleeping area, where it can wake you if you are asleep. Additional detectors on every level and in every bedroom of a home provides extra protection.

Homeowners should remember not to install carbon monoxide detectors directly above or beside fuel-burning appliances, as appliances may emit a small amount of carbon monoxide upon start-up. A detector should not be placed within fifteen feet of heating or cooking appliances or in or near very humid areas such as bathrooms.

When considering where to place a carbon monoxide detector, keep in mind that although carbon monoxide is roughly the same weight as air (carbon monoxide's specific gravity is 0.9657, as stated by the EPA; the National Resource Council lists the specific gravity of air as one), it may be contained in warm air coming from combustion appliances such as home heating equipment (or a generator exhaust). If this is the case, carbon monoxide will rise with the warmer air."

Sorry to interrupt....

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Our carbon monoxide detector is on the overhead of the cabin, about two feet forward of the companionway.

We always run the generator out on the eurotransom, i.e. outside HMBJack's "bucket"... :)

Grady282owner

Reaction score
Wow looks like the 3500 unit is good. I wonder about the Honda EU 2000 though if it is just a much better unit any ideas? Thank you for the post I really appreciate it.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Smaller of the linked units gives sound level as 60db. As there is a range, I would assume that to be the lower limit.

The EU2000 sound level is 53-59db. The difference between 53db and 60 db is over FOUR times the level of sound.

I know that my EU2000 ran on our 2nd floor deck for over 20 hours powering our garage freezer, the kitchen refrigerator, and some lights/electronics, and the neighbors never even knew it was there.

Brian

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Home Depot return policy is pretty liberal, to say the least.

Buy it and if too loud take it back for refund. Use it after you buy it, don't wait. If you wait too long they only do store credit.

I've seen people bring back stuff used for years and worn out and busted, for full credit. No discussion at counter.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Those generators seem to be about 1/2 the cost of a Honda. Considering the enviorment it'll be in and the possibility of it taking a splash the price savings may be justified. I'd run it though to see how loud it really is.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Makes sense on price vs. value, at least in part.

Honda most certainly has qualilty equipment, but is not price competitive in anything but cars. They are not interested in market share to be competitive in those areas.

The reason there is a Honda lawnmower, outboard, etc., is for exposure to promote vehicle business.