2017 F250 with new tach gauges ?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had the dealer installed tach gauges when repowering in 2017. This year getting ready for launch and testing the systems notice the starboard tach turned on with the key in the on position as it is supposed to do (engine not running as boat is not in the water). The port tach turne.d on momentarily then faded out and now does not turn on at all. Anyone run into this - thinking 7 years old is not time for a gauge to go but who knows? Any tips or leads to trouble shoot appreciated. Thanks in advance

seasick

Reaction score
Does that side motor start?. The best pain in the neck way to test is to swap guages and see if the problem now occurs on the other side. If you can get to the back of the gauges, you may be able to swap the harness connector. and avoid actually removing the gauge.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Tx - I will give it a shot. I have turned the engine over but did not try to start it out of the water.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If swapping gauges, confirms it is a side issue and not a gauge issue, then you’ll need to understand how your Yamaha command link system is wired. It has a multihub that each motor connects to. A bus wire then transmits CAN data from both engines to another multihub at the helm. Your gauges plug into that multi hub. Each multihub has 3 “device” ports. Check out the Command Link Rigging guide for a schematic. It is actually a pretty simple system. Easy to troubleshoot once you understand how the data gets to the gauge.

Reactions: Legend

seasick

Reaction score
If swapping gauges, confirms it is a side issue and not a gauge issue, then you’ll need to understand how your Yamaha command link system is wired. It has a multihub that each motor connects to. A bus wire then transmits CAN data from both engines to another multihub at the helm. Your gauges plug into that multi hub. Each multihub has 3 “device” ports. Check out the Command Link Rigging guide for a schematic. It is actually a pretty simple system. Easy to troubleshoot once you understand how the data gets to the gauge.
If the gauge is OK but there is a data bus issue, the screen would not be blank I think.

Reactions: wspitler

Aquanut2

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
there is also a yellow wire inline fuse in the gauge cluster that could be dirty/blown I had a short in the CL+ bus that blew this fuse. gauge wouldn't come on but motor ran

Reactions: Legend

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Does that side motor start?. The best pain in the neck way to test is to swap guages and see if the problem now occurs on the other side. If you can get to the back of the gauges, you may be able to swap the harness connector. and avoid actually removing the gauge.
Swap worked gauge dead on both engines and good gauge works. on both engines - Not a good lifetime - 6 years for a Yamaha gauge. Now I have one engine with 400 Hours and one with zero - funy I Only replace the 2 tachs during the 2017 repower - the bottom two gauges are original - 2004 and they work fine, Thaks for your tip