2021 Freedom 275 Anchor Selection

rifraf4u

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I just bought a new to me grady 275 - just used the 'came with' anchor the other day, and found the performance horrible as compared to my last boat (a pursuit 2470 WA). Just really wouldn't bite. Outside of adding more chain rode, does anyone have a recommendation for the best anchor model? I'm sure the current one is an 14lb 'delta type' anchor - will a 22lb fit?

thanks for all your great advice in advance.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
What anchor you use depends primarily on the type of sea bottom. A 14lb plow anchor will work very well in many conditions. That anchor is plenty for your boat - sure you can bigger, but properly using the anchor is likely all that you need to do.

A common mistake many boaters make is not having enough scope. Setting the proper scope for the conditions makes all the difference in the world. Do that and I bet it will hold.

What's the bottom like where you were anchoring? How much chain do you have and what scope where you using?

rifraf4u

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
What anchor you use depends primarily on the type of sea bottom. A 14lb plow anchor will work very well in many conditions. That anchor is plenty for your boat - sure you can bigger, but properly using the anchor is likely all that you need to do.

A common mistake many boaters make is not having enough scope. Setting the proper scope for the conditions makes all the difference in the world. Do that and I bet it will hold.

What's the bottom like where you were anchoring? How much chain do you have and what scope where you using?
Dennis, in the test case I mention, I was in only 8ft of water and I had more than 6/7 to 1 scope (as I kept adding to get a bite) maybe more. Sandy bottom (peconic’s). In maybe 10mph wind and there was an ebbing tide to add.

so this is why I’m a bit perplexed as my previous boat with a delta brand anchor of same size held in ‘anything’ in the same environ. Of course the Grady is more heft and probably catch’s more of the wind. But still.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I suspect there was another variable - with those conditions and that amount of scope you were using it should have held just fine. Maybe it had gotten fouled by something as it set down.

Fixit

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I use a 22lb kodiak (plow / delta knockoff) on my 270. 50ft chain then pleight rope. has held well for me. if your in 8 ft of water you should be able to see why its not holding

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

vocz

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I brought a 27 lbs Rocna Vulcan for 265 express and never look back. I will never buy another brand!