205 T ski pylon alternative, information on OEM part needed

GWcpa

Reaction score
I really would like to have a ski pylon on my 205, but not sold on the idea of buying one for $1100+. For that money I could get a wake tower built.

Considering getting a custom built pylon that serves the same purpose as the OEM model. I would be ok if it was not removable, and may also like to be able to mount a center rod holder on it for fall striper season fishing.

Has anyone had one made or installed a different type with good results?

Any ideas of who actually manufactures the OEM model for Grady?

Is the OEM model solid aluminum and how is it released from the mounts? Any information or even better, pics would be appreciated.

GWcpa

Reaction score
Thanks, but guess I should have said the universal ones availble will not fit. There is not enough room for the supports to attach to the motor well and still be able to open the fish box/cooler and/or tilt the motor up.

The way the OEM part is mounted is the best way, but requires a very strong, free standing pylon. Hence the cost.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
GWcpa,
My 225 has the pylon but it's mounted on the swim platform aft of the transom. It slides down through a U shaped brace bolted to the transom and then screws into its base on the full swim platform. It is solid as a rock and weighs quite a bit . I believe the base is inside the cockpit on the 205 but the pylon is probably very similar. I know it's expensive but it is one stout piece of equipment and will probably last as long as the boat! You should never have to worry about what you tow with it. I know it can be dealer installed and may be worth it in the long run.

GWcpa

Reaction score
Capt Chris,

Thanks, that is feedback I was hoping for. I know that sucker must be strong to be free standing. I may end up buying it, but will do the install myself. The dealer quoted me around another $600 to install. OUCH...

PMD 205

Reaction score
I have a photo of the factory one, just so you'll know it looks like the livewells single latch has to be replaced with two latches, one on either side of the ski pylon. I'll see if I can get the photo up later on.

PMD 205

Reaction score
marinemax1538499_4thumb_550x410.jpg

GWcpa

Reaction score
Thanks PMD. That thing looks like a tow bit on a Sea-Tow boat.

How hard it it to remove and is there a hole in the base that the pylon is inserted into?

PMD 205

Reaction score
GWcpa said:

How hard it it to remove and is there a hole in the base that the pylon is inserted into?

I have no idea, I am only guessing that is the factory pylon. That is a photo I got off of Boattrader.com.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
PMD 205 said:
GWcpa said:

I have no idea, I am only guessing that is the factory pylon. That is a photo I got off of Boattrader.com.
That is the same factory set up I have on my 225. There is a threaded base that the aluminum pole screws into to secure it. The base is mounted to my full width swim platform but on the 205 I bet it is mounted into the floor.

nwboater

Reaction score
capt chris - will you post a picture of yours ? I cannot picture how that thing fits between the tilted engine and the transom, or how it "deals with" the rigging cables and tubes going out the transom to the engine. I have never seen one, am interested in the boat and would surely want one as selling point for my kids, who want a grand banks. thanks

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
nwboater said:
capt chris - will you post a picture of yours ? I cannot picture how that thing fits between the tilted engine and the transom, or how it "deals with" the rigging cables and tubes going out the transom to the engine. I have never seen one, am interested in the boat and would surely want one as selling point for my kids, who want a grand banks. thanks
This should be the link to the pictures I posted on the photo forum, which should give you the picture you want.
http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7994
Good Luck with yours. I love mine.

PMD 205

Reaction score
Hey Chris, did you have the foot rest in front of the sleeper seat installed or did it come that way from the factory?

GWcpa

Reaction score
Chris, that 225 is sweet! I'd love for that to be my next boat. For the price to add a pylon I almost think I ought to sell mine and buy one with it. :D

Fishing, skiing and cruising, the tourneys do it all.

r braswell

Reaction score
Let me know when you are ready to sell GWcpa, I know how you keep your boats :D

GWcpa

Reaction score
Ha! I just got my new mooring cover and LED rope lights to pimp it out this afternoon. I guess that means I am about ready to sell once I've done everything that needs to be done for the next owner. Parthery, you know what I mean.

Just can't convince myself to spend over a grand on a darned pylon, but I really do need it.

I really don't think the owner of my 232 has done a thing to it in 2 years except put a name on it and run it.

Robert, are you boatless now along with Brian?

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
PMD 205 said:
Hey Chris, did you have the foot rest in front of the sleeper seat installed or did it come that way from the factory?
My wife insisted that the dealer install it. She is 5'2" and it was her first great idea when we went on the sea trial last September on Lake Erie. She couldn't understand why it wasn't std or a factory option.

r braswell

Reaction score
Not boatless, I have the 208. There is a rumor the CFO of our house may release additional funds for a boat, that always gets me looking. :shock:

PMD 205

Reaction score
capt chris said:
PMD 205 said:
My wife insisted that the dealer install it. She is 5'2" and it was her first great idea when we went on the sea trial last September on Lake Erie. She couldn't understand why it wasn't std or a factory option.

I was thinking the same thing b/c my wife is vertically challenged also at 5'0. :D I sat on a 225s sleeper seat a couple of weeks ago and it just seemed awkward without one, plus it felt like the seat was higher up than my 205s. I think this would be a definite must have if you had dual adjustable height helm chairs.