208 vs 228 vs 232 vs 258

zimm

Reaction score
First up I'm 18 months from buying a boat, but it's never to early to research. (So please no ads yet)

Upgrading from my donzi 22 classic. Looking to mostly day boat on the Potomac River in Virginia, occasional excursions down river to point lookout, trailer up to annapolis, and down to lake anna.

I'm 34, married, and no kids yet, but hopefully in near future. Requirements are a cuddy cabin, porti potty, and room for 4 adults and sometimes a dog. I want a grady for the unsinkable part, self bailing, outboard power (easy winterization), and heavy duty construction. I'm really looking forward to an efficient, low maintenance boat. My supercharged 454 was always having problems- no more I/O boats for me.

I don't know how to fish yet but wouldn't mind learning how. Mostly just cruising, swiming, occasional water ski/tube/wakeboard, and would like to overnight maybe 1-2 times a season.

I have a 2008 Toyota 4runner V8 advertised with a #7300 tow limit. Had to sell the F250 diesel when I got married.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 208 adventure. It's affordable, towable with my rig, no fresh water sink or tank to worry about winterizing, and should do everything I want.

Also the 228 should just fit under my tow limit.

BUT, with that being said, I grew up on a 23' donzi with twin 302's and a 24 degree bottom and it cut through sloppy conditions better than just about anything in it's size. I love having twin engines- we went home on 1 more times than I can count (It was an old boat though). So part of me wants to get a bigger boat with twins and just keep it at a marina- either rack store, or keep on trailer and use 4runner to just launch it at the ramp. Hence the idea of the 258 or 232 with twins. The big trade offs will be higher cost and not being able to trailer to other areas.

So, no ocean trips planned, but I'm a bit hung up on getting a boat shorter than my old donzi 22- which didn't do very well in nasty wind blown chop on the ICW and bays. I also would need to get over my anxiety of having only 1 engine- even though I hear the yamaha 250F's are dead reliable.

So, please Grady owners, give this guy some advice.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi Zimm..
I am on the Donzi sites, and have read your posts.
I have a 16 Ski Sporter that I love dearly.

But..I am also a Grady owner. Currently have a 232 Gulfstream with twin 200's. Had a Seafarer with a single 250 for 10 years.
I have both the Donzi and the Grady because one won't do what the other one does.
Like you, I've had issues with my Donzi for years..just now getting it lined out.
The Gradys are much more maintenance-friendly. My 250 was a hassle sometimes, but the 200 4-strokes I have on my 232 are the most incredible outboards I have ever run.
It comes down to room and ride for your situation.
The Adventure and Seafarer are great boats and can be trailered. The 208 is tight in the cabin, but the Seafarer is easily overnightable.(Some here will disagree on that.)
Both ride pretty well, but will slap more than your Donzi at similar speeds. They will certainly be more stable both at drift and underway.(We both know what those 24-degree hulls do when you spin the wheel hard over on plane.)
The 232 is a superior boat. I can tell you that without a doubt, but it comes with the towing inconvienence that you mentioned. It has a 9' 3" beam,requiring a permit for towing. Your 4-runner will be undersized to tow a 232. It'll come in over 7500 gross weight. Dragging it short distances might be OK, but I would watch it close.
Upsides to the 232??Great ride(It will ride better than your Classic, although it'll pound some in a 1-3 head or quartering sea.) Tab adjustment helps a lot with the 232.
Tons of room in the cockpit..It'll seem like a mansion compared to your Donzi.
You can overnite easily in the 232. You and Wifey below by adding the filler cushion. A bunk pulls out above for a 3rd party, but it isn't the Marriott.
This is a can of worms that gets opened here, and I'm always in the middle of it..I think twins are the way to go with the Gulfstream. 200's are perfect(What I have) 150's are probably OK. I would stay away from a single on a 232. If you want the single and the economic advantages of one, the Seafarer and the Adventure are the best choice. Besides, after having a 22 Donzi with a 454, you'll think your pulling a whale behind you when you try to plane off a single-engine Gulfstream.
Keep me up-to-date on your thought process.
By the way, many of the guys went to Donzi.org after the big blowup on .net.
Take Care,

Bill.

VinMan

Reaction score
I agree with Bill. I couldn't go the Gulfstream because my F150 wouldn't tow it and it wouldn't fit in my side yard (bigger beam). We chose the Seafarer 228 over the 208 because of the added room and closed-in cockpit (motor is on a bracket). The 208 has the cut-a-way transom and we felt the closed transom was better for our two small kids (and dogs). You would have to settle on the single engine on the 228 but a Sea Tow membership and an EPIRB help us feel safe. I go offshore with my 7 year old after dolphin with no fear. (Get a kicker) Good luck, these Grady's are all great boats. It's difficult deciding which one is best for your personal situation.

tag0496

Reaction score
I HAVE A 2001 226 200HPDI,THE BOAT IS A REAL BATTLEWAGON,DOWNSIZED FROM A 282 W TWIN 200HPDI FOR TRAILERING,BOTH BOATS ARE GREAT,BUT MAN I REALLY LOVE THE 226 I AM MARRIED W THREE YOUNG KIDS WE LOVE TO FISH MOSTLY OFFSHORE,BUT THIS BOAT CAN REALLY GET TO SOME INSHORE SHALLOW AREAS TO GO TO BEACHES,AND I CAN KEEP THIS BOAT ON A TRAILER ON SIDE OF HOUSE DURING WINTER MY FIRST CHOICE WOULD BE THE 226 OR 228 ENCLOSED FOR THE $$$ YOU CAN'T BEAT THEM MUCH LOWER MAINT. THEN 282 W TWINS,ESPECIALLY IF KIDS ARE IN FUTURE,TRUST ME FIRST FEW YEARS W BABIES THE BOAT WILL NOT GET USED AS MUCH DOESN'T HURT SO BAD W 226 DOESTN'T COST AS MUCH TO MAINTAIN.
GOOD LUCK

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Zimm: We started out with a 208. Great boat. Kept the boat for ten years and made summer runs to the Bahamas. Always liked the layout of the 228 though, for the reasons Vinman stated. Took a 228 for a sea trial and the dealer brought along a 258. That was a smart move. While the 228 rode incrementally better than the 208, the 258 gave a considerably better ride. It was the Admiral who decided that the 258 was worth the extra cost.

We have a single F250, and, as magicalbill says, we keep up our SeaTow insurance and carry an EPIRB. Although, now with 1100 hours on it, the F250 has been flawless.

However, a 258 will be pushing your towing limit, especially if you keep the fuel tank full.

Rob

midnight-rider

Reaction score
My Choice would be

The 22' grady with the closed stern and a 225 Hp , hard top and bow pulpit, duel axel trailer, power winch. Your Toyota should do fine. Add a K and N air filter to your truck gives you a few more horses towing and a bit beeeter gas milage,

zimm

Reaction score
Re: My Choice would be

midnight-rider said:
The 22' grady with the closed stern and a 225 Hp , hard top and bow pulpit, duel axel trailer, power winch. Your Toyota should do fine. Add a K and N air filter to your truck gives you a few more horses towing and a bit beeeter gas milage,

Thanks. Yes the 4runner already has the K&N intake, magnaflow exhaust, 2" lift with much stiffer coil over fronts and 20% stiffer rears, bilstein shocks. So towing shouldn't be an issue. Truck comes with the towing package- tranny cooler, class IV hitch.

I'll definitly check out the 228's.

G8RDave

Reaction score
I have a 228 and a buddy has the 232. The 232 is a much bigger boat (or atleast seems to be). His 232 is powered by a single 250 and is underpowered. Twin 200's would be perfect. That said, the 228 has been the perfect boat for me, my wife and two young kids. The enclosed transom just feels safer with the kids and dog than the 226 with the notch. The 228 is also about the biggest boat my older F-150 can haul, so the 232 would be out of the question. The 228 is easy to trailer and store, yet big enough to get you through just about any seas safely. The layout is great for cruising. Plenty of seats and even has cup holders (sounds like a mini-van!). The three insulated fish boxes make excellent coolers for food and drinks and the central livewell makes a great trash can. On top of all that, it fishes very well too. My son and I have overnighted on the boat numerous times and had plenty of room, but it might be a bit tight for two full sized adults (I'm probably a bit over "full sized") unless you really like each other. :)

HMBJack

Reaction score
I had a 228 and earlier this year upgraded to a 265 Express.
Some inputs: IMHO, the 228 is by far the best 22 footer made. Is a great desighn and has the deck space of most 25 footers. That said, bigger, and heavier, is always better but it comes with a cost (more fuel burn and some hassle in trailering). As much as we loved the 228, I always wanted a 232 with twin O/B's. That wide bean is terrific. For me personally, I went with a 265 because it is everything that a 232 is but "more". I don't trailer so it fits my needs perfectly.
So find yourself a nice clean Grady and use your pals in this website to help you through the questions you will surely generate. Good luck!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you plan on towing a lot, the 232 is going to be too much for your truck. The beam is also oversized which may be an issue where you are but for short trips the locals aren't likely to bust your stones. If you do leave the boat in the water or dry-rack, stepping up to an older Sailfish gives you more room, a shower, and a head but it's also thirstier than the other too. It's always easy to spend other peoples money.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
"Always easier to spend other people's money."

Grog, your stealing my lines..

Or have I stole yours??