247 Advance w/ 225 ox66

xperksx22

Reaction score
I am very interested in a 247 Advance with a 225hp Ox66. I just can't figure out if it is underpowered. Does anyone have any input/experience with a setup like this ? Thanks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
No experience with your exact boat, but I'm MORE than satisfied with the 250 on my boat. I have no doubts that a 225 would work very well on my boat, as well. I'm not sure of the weight difference between the two boats - but if they're relatively close (you can probably find this online) then I would imagine the 225 should be just fine on that boat. I rebuilt the entire cockpit floor and aft bulkhead and didn't go light on the building. So I'm sure it's a little heavier than original, too. But, a lot of whether or not an engine is powerful enough, is determined by what you want to do with the boat.

Of course, the best way to figure it out is to take it for a ride, equipped the way you would normally load it.

xperksx22

Reaction score
Thanks guys you are right the best way to tell would be by sea trialing it.

J-Sea

Reaction score
xperks - its a great boat - I have a 257 advance, which is almost identical except for the hull running completely back to the edge of the transom - if memory serves me right, the 247 advance's hull stops a few feet before the end of the transom...to me, your power question is more a function of intended use - if you plan to stay in the bay and make it a "cruising" style boat then I think you're fine - if you plan to take it off-shore or have it heavily loaded, I would suggest greater power - I run Twin 150 Yamaha 4 Strokes and LOVE it - I am an avid fisher and make long runs off-shore and have both the reliability, redundancy and fuel efficiency that I need - if I were a "bay" boater, and hole-shot as well as top end speed are not a big concern, then I'm sure you'll enjoy the boat and have an amazing time with it - I would definitely sea trial it the way you intend to use it (e.g., when I sea trialed mine, I got 5 200lb guys to come on board with me to simulate the 2-3 people plus ice and gear that I'd be running off-shore with)

Good luck!!

JC